• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New overhead lighting

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I just picked up this Winplus LED Ceiling Light at Costco for $24. At 1600 Lumins it produces as much light as a 100w incandescent bulb but is only 22w. (Per Energy.gov ). I installed this in our utility / wash room. Features:

- Plenty bright for most applications

- Can adjust the light from 10% to 100% in 10% increments (or you can select min or max power)

- Built in motion sensor and timer.
- Motion Sensor sensitivity can be set to tell it how close you must be to turn the light on. I have it set in the utility room so that it turns on as soon as you are in the doorway.
- Timer that you set that tells you how long the light stays on when no motion is detected. I have it set for 1 minute since I'm usually moving while in there. 30 seconds before it goes out, the light goes to half power to let you know it's going out soon.
- Can adjust the light temp from a cool 2700K to a warm 5000k
- Has night mode that will keep power at 50% at night
- Has ambient light mode that, when set, will prevent the light from going on via motion sensor if the room already has sufficient light.

Conclusion: I'm buying a few more of these for the house!

IMG_3610.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Basil, what is the highest ceiling it can be mounted on for sensitivity? We have 9 foot ceilings in all but the family room, which is much higher. PJ

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Neat - thanks for the tip!

I love "warm" (lower K) LED lights. Over the past three years, I have changed all the lights on the first floor of our house. All LED can lights, plus two LED bulbs in the bathroom and entryway. A few weeks ago I installed five 4' strip lights from HD in my 1.5 car garage, and it is BRIGHT inside. I love lots of light. Hope to never replace them... or at least very infrequently.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil, what is the highest ceiling it can be mounted on for sensitivity? We have 9 foot ceilings in all but the family room, which is much higher. PJ

I don't know, but it our ceiling is more than 8 1/2 feet high and I have it set on the least sensitive setting, so I imagine you would have no problem at 9ft.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What do you do in the laundry room?
Don't you have a Wife for that kind of thing?

(Ducks & runs.....)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, here is the web page (with a link to the user manual) https://winplus.com/usa/products/led-lighting-home-garage/led-ceiling-light/

But all I could find about sensitivity is that it can be adjusted from "very near" to "very far" :D

Thanks for the heads-up Basil; I'll have to check out the local Costco.

One caution, though: the outdoor motion sensor light I got from Costco a couple of years ago has gone flaky. It frequently locks up and stays on, even during the daytime.

PS, my laundry room is the passage to the garage. I find it annoying when I'm in the garage working, the wife does a load of laundry and she turns off the light. A motion sensor would be an ideal solution to the problem, even though replacing the CFL sorta screws up it's cost savings.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Had to stoop down to install. Kept bumping my head on the ceiling.

not surprised - back to the original intent of the thread, thanks for the "heads up." :grin:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
not surprised - back to the original intent of the thread, thanks for the "heads up." :grin:

After buying the first one, I went tp Costco again today and bought two more - one for the Kitchen Pantry and another for the Master Bedroom walk-in closet.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What are the chances the wind will set it off.
The stairs from my garage to my house I have a 3 way switch motion that the wind outside turns them on.
They also don't work with LEDS so this might work.

EDIT: it's got a remote ?
It doesn't work with the switch?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
What are the chances the wind will set it off.
The stairs from my garage to my house I have a 3 way switch motion that the wind outside turns them on.
They also don't work with LEDS so this might work.

EDIT: it's got a remote ?
It doesn't work with the switch?

Can't answer the first question about wind setting off the motion detector. It can be turned on or off with the light switch like a normal light, but the remote is how you do things like set the light intensity, temperature, and nothing sensitivity, etc.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Won't work for me
I can't daisy chain the lights as I have 2
Oh well, I'll have to stay with what I have

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't apologize to me
You didn't build em
:excitement:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Interesting item. I have one more ceiling fixture to replace in our house, so when it is time, I will look into these. Of course, the Costco won't have them anymore. I have replace every other florescent fixture in our new place, and the only other lights I would consider are inside the garage about 14 feet up. I do not use these bare bulb lights often as the garage door opener lights are more than adequate most of the time.