• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Volvo and BCF member!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Today I was driving back from town and spotted a older Volvo turning into a Smith's gas station! It was a car I'd seen a few times before but this time I was able to pull in and talk to the owner while he topped off some water cans at the Smith's gas station. I asked if I could take some pictures of his Volvo and we started talking about cars. This particular Volvo is a 1965, but I learned that he also has other cars including a Triumph and a Healey.

When I heard he also had British cars, I asked him if he had ever heard of British Car Forum and he said he had and was in fact a member! I told him "that's my forum" and he asked me, "are you Basil?" "Why yes, I am...." Anyway, today, I met BCF member "Jim 58 BN6". If you see this Jim, it was nice meeting you today!

Here's Jim's lovely little Volvo driver!

Volvo_65-1.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Tom, this is another Volvo I've seen on occasion around here. This picture was taken at the same Smith's.

Volvo-1620.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One of my favourite cars of all time (love the 544 too!) Also has the distinction of being one of the very few cars where I like the wagon better than the coupe.

Volvo P1800ES (1).jpg

On another forum I visit (sorry ;) ) there is a fellow who is building a wagon like this onto a Miata Chassis which in turn will then have a V8 - the quality of the build is astonishing!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, I used to do all the maintenance on a pea green 67 P1800. It was a good running old car but had electrical issues.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom, I used to do all the maintenance on a pea green 67 P1800. It was a good running old car but had electrical issues.

Walt - I don't mind electrical issues. What could go wrong? :jester:

Once you've them the issues sorted out, please send the car to Connecticut.

TM

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hahaha Tom. This was a car I worked on years ago while still a mechanic. I had to practically make a wiring harness from scratch for it. I do on occasion still see it around town.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
I have not seen Jim on the forum yet since I met him.

Here I am Basil! I was playing doctor yesterday, and this is the first time I've had a chance to respond.

Thanks for posting the picture of my car, although I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "lovely" - you're too kind!

The blue P1800 belongs to Joe, who lives off of Frost Road, toward Cedar Crest. I helped him with a brake issue about 1-1/2 years ago. I believe that car is all original, and he drove it from Washington state to NM a few years ago. I think it's his daily driver.

It was very nice meeting you, and I enjoyed our brief conversation. I'm sure we'll run into each other again, and I hope to see your Spitfire and XKE.

BTW, this is one of the best forums that I have participated in. It's VERY civil - which, IMHO, is not a common occurrence, nowadays. Jim

dklawson

Yoda
Both the 544 and the 1800 are on my list of "some day" cars.

With the return of warm weather my wife and I resumed our daily walks. I noticed last week that an 1800ES has appeared in our neighborhood. I haven't met the owner yet but hope to in the near future.

It's always great to run into other classic car owners. It's like a brotherhood.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here I am Basil! I was playing doctor yesterday, and this is the first time I've had a chance to respond.

Thanks for posting the picture of my car, although I wouldn't go as far as describing it as "lovely" - you're too kind!

The blue P1800 belongs to Joe, who lives off of Frost Road, toward Cedar Crest. I helped him with a brake issue about 1-1/2 years ago. I believe that car is all original, and he drove it from Washington state to NM a few years ago. I think it's his daily driver.

It was very nice meeting you, and I enjoyed our brief conversation. I'm sure we'll run into each other again, and I hope to see your Spitfire and XKE.

BTW, this is one of the best forums that I have participated in. It's VERY civil - which, IMHO, is not a common occurrence, nowadays. Jim

Hey there Jim! I think both your car and Joe's P1800 are lovely! And speaking of P1800s I saw another one in Albuquerque the other day but was driving the other direction. It was a cream color similar to the one Tom posted above.

It was nice meeting you and finding out you were a member here! An old High School friend was recently visiting some small town in Tennessee last year to do some metal detecting for Civil War stuff. The owner of the hotel where he was staying owned a British car (MG I think). My friend said to him, "I have a buddy who runs a British car forum," and the guy replied that he was a member here! The internet makes for a small world sometimes.

Glad you like the BCF and hope to see you around more (both here and around town). Are you going to put a car in the Father's Day car show?

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
"Glad you like the BCF and hope to see you around more (both here and around town). Are you going to put a car in the Father's Day car show"

No, probably not. My nice car - the TR4A - was stolen last year, so right now, the Volvo is probably the best of the bunch (how sad). However, I can't say enough good things about Hagerty's service (No financial interest, etc). The whole claim process was about as painless as something like that can be.

I will probably go to the show, and most likely will take the PV544, but as transportation, not as an exhibit. Cheers!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I will probably go to the show, and most likely will take the PV544, but as transportation, not as an exhibit. Cheers!

I will probably go too, but like you only as a spectator. By the way, if you click on "Reply With Quote" at the bottom of a post it will allow you to "Quote" all or part of the person's post you are replying to.

Maybe I'll see you at the show.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
I forgot to mention that Dad restored a '67 1800s right after he retired. It was one of those cars that he had always wanted - although the Healey 100 was #1 on his list! As a kid, I remember him pointing both cars out to me, every time he saw one.

Also, it's amazing how "British" these old Volvos are when you look at how they're designed and built.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I forgot to mention that Dad restored a '67 1800s right after he retired. It was one of those cars that he had always wanted - although the Healey 100 was #1 on his list! As a kid, I remember him pointing both cars out to me, every time he saw one.

Also, it's amazing how "British" these old Volvos are when you look at how they're designed and built.

I’ve always felt the 1800 looked decades ahead of its time.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

I’ve always felt the 1800 looked decades ahead of its time.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"I’ve always felt the 1800 looked decades ahead of its time."

Not only that, the Saint drove one, so that has to add to the cool factor.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Back in the late 60s my daily driver was a 544. It was the same color as Jims car. Back then I didn't have the resources to properly take care of the car, with carbs that needed rebuilding and a few other things that needed attention, I sold it, but to this day, If one crossed my path, I'd be hard pressed to pass it up. A Veterinarian friend has one and is restoring it in his spare time. Great little car in cold weather, mine had a super heater in it! :encouragement: PJ