Thread: Low Miles TR6 on eBay

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Low Miles TR6 on eBay

I don't normally stalk TR6s on eBay but this one caught my eye as I do have a saved search for cars here in Tucson. Presented as a 1976 TR6 with 6,900 original miles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Triump...19.m1438.l2649

Looks like it could be the real deal - the original sticker and dealer installed CB radio (Breaker Breaker Good Buddy) are interesting.

Obviously a premium price to reflect the low miles - though how much premium that should carry is debatable.

Certainly not the car for me as I would drive it and there would go its uniqueness - but nice to see a preservation example that looks this good (in photos).

If anyone here is seriously interested I could probably check it out. I'd enjoy seeing it but don't want to be just a tire-kicker when someone is trying to sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Low Miles TR6 on eBay

I would be a bit suspicious about mileage and condition. It looks nice, missing air pump and all plumbing. Can't see manifold that well but looks like older non pumbed manifold. What is the red dot on speedo. Didn't look it over that close. I have a 76 that is 200 numbers newer than that one with 57k miles that is original other than one respray.

Marv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR6s seem to be getting a little pricey in general if you look at asking prices. if I do a local area Craigslist search I come up with a $18,000 car and a $26,000 car ( with 50,000 and something miles. Of course asking price isn't necessarily selling price, but I have noticed the nicer cars seem to be in the high teen asking price area. Based on no knowledge other than my feeling that is a lot of money for a nice TR6, which are fine cars, but they built quite a few and the survivors out there. Would be interesting to see what the eBay car gets.
    Last edited by glemon; 04-17-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you reduced me to only one LBC it would be a TR6. Have put thousands of miles on them. Prices are actually coming down on them since so many people are starting to sell their toys. A good driver is around $6/8 k and of course the full resto at $25kish.
    Marv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I notice the vacuum retard module on the distributor is getting vacuum from the wrong source. He's using the ported vacuum location on the rear carb that would normally be for the EGR (if it had not been removed) instead of the manifold vacuum source that's located on the bottom of the front carb for this year TR6 carb.
    I don't know what affect that had on performance, but I suspect retarding the ignition timing with an open throttle would be counterproductive.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM