Thread: Windshield glaze strip.

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Darth Vader
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Windshield glaze strip.

Windshield glaze strip. I bought a glaze strip from TRF to install the windshield back into the frame and the strip is too thick. In my bag of spare glazing strips, I found another one, but it is too thin and there is not enough there to do the job anyway. I am not sure of the origin of the windshield, but it looks like old aftermarket from the 70 or 80ites. I think I got the thin glaze from a windshield shop in town and will go Monday and ask around. I am trying to think of some other ways of doing the glazing. Perhaps some quality duct tape of maybe some other thick tape like I see on TV. Anyone have some suggestions of what to use for the glazing if I cannot find the correct thickness?
    steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Windshield glaze strip.

The last TRF glaze I bought was very thick, but it was a butyl rubber that was very pliant and would “squeeze” wherever it had to. You can tell this rubber because it stretches very little before it tears. But gently tap the frame on and it sqeezes into place.

The second type is real rubber...like an inner tube. For that type if you stretch it longer, it becomes thinner. Like an inner tube, it is very hard to tear. So simply stretch it until it is thin enough to fit. Don’t trim the ends for a day or two, as it will relax some.

So, I guess I’m saying the thicker one should work for you?!?
    John

1955 TR2

Darth Vader
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks John I think it is the butyl rubber stuff that you are talking about, and I kinda thought it might maybe kinda sorta work because it did squish and slid and goooed around and looked like if I did get in on it would be a good seal. I just eared on the side of caution and thought I would ask someone. You have been a wealth of knowledge John and it is appreciated, well until the glass breaks. Plus my confidence is slipping or sliding or something thanks again.
    steve

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Or, take the pieces back to the glass shop and have them sell you the right thickness. It comes in several different thicknesses.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild