• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally Joining the Bugeye club!

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Looks like I might be finally getting a Bugeye! 1960... Offer's been made and accepted. In the process of setting up the payment and shipping. I'll want to replace the Mini Lite wheels on the car with original rims and hubcaps. What size are those original wheels? Trying to get an idea of what I'll need to spend on them.....
Thanks!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mike,
Congrats on the Bugeye! Original steel wheels come in 3 basic styles that all look the same at first glance. Some have the center rivited, some welded, and some have the 2 holes lined up with the perimeter holes, some in between. The BST forum and eBay are good sources and I prefer the welded wheels...they typically need to be straightened or trued. Expect to pay less than $100 for a good set.
Rut

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bugeye-Spr...ash=item1ca76a9379:g:d6QAAOSwmgJY8R3U&vxp=mtr

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the pending Bugeye ownership! :cheers:

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Mike -

I have probably 8-10 (maybe more) original style rims in both riveted and welded center sections. They will need wire wheeled and painted, but otherwise are in good shape. Some still have old tires that will need to be removed. The price is simple: come and get them! I know Morgantown is over 4 hours from me in West Chester, OH, but I would rather not get involved in packing and shipping. I also have a set of nice hubcaps at the same price.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rut may or may not remember this.
I shipped four tires and rims from California to Rut. I just took the tires on the rims to a UPS Store and they boxed them up and shipped them.
It was easy and I remember that the shipping cost under $100.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut may or may not remember this.
I shipped four tires and rims from California to Rut. I just took the tires on the rims to a UPS Store and they boxed them up and shipped them.
It was easy and I remember that the shipping cost under $100.

How could I forget? Great set of wheels and tires and they live on my Bugeye!
Rut

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Congrats!

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the replies folks! @John Kuznan ... I may totally take you up on that offer! Thanks.... gotta love these forums. l had a nice talk with the seller today and will be working on the finances and logistics this week. As a side note... if anyone knows someone who could haul the car from Vermont to WV, let me know! Don't want to jinx the sale with pics yet... playin' cool man... As soon as the deal's done I'll post some pics and more details about plans!

@hcallaway ... I saw one red one at a shop in town (Morgantown) last fall but haven't seen it since..... This little guy will become the mascot for our business... hoping to get him out and about quickly!

Great to be finally moving forward.... been studying every Bugeye that's popped up for sale for the last year!

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
I remember you now. It has been a while since you started searching for a car to go with the business. It will be an asset.When do you pick it up?

Yeah... It's been a while for sure! Not sure how long it'll take to get it back here. I'll probably have to have it shipped, although I'd love to go get it myself. Checking prices from folks who can haul it for me now. It has an extra hood and extra engine with it.

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Right... Bonnet. At least I can't make the same mistake on the other end of the car, seeing as how he doesn't have 'boot' to speak of! Haven't seen the extra bonnet yet so no idea of condition. There's a front bumper as well and apparently several other boxes of misc parts. Can't wait to see what all is there! Looks like it'll be a few weeks though.... next 2 weekends are out so May 4-5-6 I'll most likely be making the drive to pick him up myself.....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good luck surviving the next few weeks of anticipation. :D

There's nothing like heading off on a road trip to bring home a car.

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Trip to pick up the car is all set... first weekend in May. Uhaul Pick up and 6X12 trailer w/ramp. I have Bugeye on the brain now. I find myself pretending to manually downshift my Camry coming into turns. Our magazine is named The Auto Expo, so this guy as our mascot is going to be named 'Otto'....

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It's good to hear from someone else who turns out to be dumber than he looks....
Pardon my sense of humour (I bought a BE in 1972 for my then girl-friend (now wife); turns out the guy doing the restoration tended to put bolts in with a hammer; bought another one shortly thereafter 'cause it ran, but the burnt exhaust valves wouldn't get it up the hills to home. Got the head fixed back then and it was our only car for a couple of low budget years; touch wood, both will be on the road this summer - for the first time ever).
Seriously: when you drive a bugeye, small children laugh and point, and so do their parents. They are not only fun and unique and a joy to drive, but they bring happiness into the lives of everyone you go past. Enjoy the wee beastie, and it will care for you as much as you care for it, and you'll have even more fun. Doug

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Seriously: when you drive a bugeye, small children laugh and point, and so do their parents.

I hope in a good way! :joyous: I've had my share of cars in the past that got the same reaction due to the number of loose hanging parts.....

Enjoy the wee beastie,...

That would be a great Bugeye name... or license plate... WEE BEEST ...

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
He's here! Brought 'Otto' back from VT to WV today.... way to tired from the drive and getting everything unloaded to take a bunch of pics yet, but I did get to drive him around with the seller for a bit so he could show me the ropes..... what a blast! My wife absolutely loved the little bugger when she saw him as well! Here's one pic....
Otto.jpg
I'll post more pics, as well as some info on the spare engine that came with the car... it's a 948 and the seller said something about it being a high compression engine.... number plate is still in place, so I'll get that info tomorrow.... For now, it's just great to have him safely in WV!