• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Leaks - What is normal/typical?

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
I know all Healeys and other cars of this vintage leak but I am trying to get a grip of what is normal.
The engine on my BT7 is surprisingly oil tight. It doesn't seem to leak at all. I never have to top it up between oil changes. Similarly with the differential. The underside and chassis of the car from front to back is dry with no oil on wiring etc
However, the gear box does leak very slightly at the drain plugs and more elsewhere. There is more of a drip from the rear of the gearbox in the area above the stabiliser bar, exactly where it is leaking from I don't know. I estimate the amount lost from the gearbox/overdrive in 12 months is about 200-250cc. Is this normal/typical?
cheers
Steve

kozelding

Country flag
Almost 30 years (and various engine and gearbox rebuilds) later, my spring garage clean-up is finally easy:

A long galvanized drip pan that, if I'm careful parking, runs almost the whole length of the engine compartment through the end of the overdrive. I then have a round houseplant tray under the differential.

Aside from the errant mouse mistaking the drip pan for a wading pool, all is well.... I'd say you're good.

Country flag
... I estimate the amount lost from the gearbox/overdrive in 12 months is about 200-250cc. Is this normal/typical?
cheers
Steve

Depends more on miles driven. If you've only driven the car a few hundred miles, I'd say that is a bit excessive. If you've put a couple thousand on it, that isn't bad. At any rate, the only 'cure' is to go through the gearbox and OD and replace gaskets and O-rings. Your leak is probably from around the OD's brake ring--which doesn't usually have a gasket--or the rear seal on the OD. I haven't done it, but I think the rear seal could be replaced in situ.

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Bob and kozelding
I think I will live with it for now. When it is up on the ramp for its 12 month test in May and I can get underneath I will have a closer look to see if I can identify where it is coming from
cheers
Steve

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The most common Healey leak is engine oil getting past the oil slinger on the rear of the crank and out the bottom of the bell housing. If you do not have that count yourself lucky.

Transmission leaks are, as Bob says, the result of leaky gaskets/O-rings. Transmission oil is less of a mess than engine oil and while I could live with what you describe the solution is to go through the unit and renew all of the possible culprits.