• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road Trip - Abo and Gran Quivira pueblo mission ruins

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Mary and I took a road trip about an hour - hour and a half southeast of our home to visit a couple of pueblo mission ruins. Though I've been here almost 25 years I've never been to these particular ruins. Pictures follow.

Abo Mission:

Abo Mission-0395.jpg

Abo Mission-0396.jpg

Abo Mission-0400.jpg

Abo Mission-0404.jpg

Abo Mission-0405.jpg

Abo Mission-0414.jpg

Gran Quivira Mission-0422.jpg

Gran Quivira Mission-0428.jpg

Gran Quivira Mission-0432.jpg

Gran Quivira Mission-0433.jpg

Gran Quivira Mission-0435.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for posting those great photos. When I first opened the page, I swear I thought paintings. Wow.

There is so much history out there, hidden away, or right in front of our eyes. How'd the people live, where'd they come from, and where'd they go - and why. All great questions that history brings.

Thanks.
Tom M.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Most amazing. Great shots. Reminds me of seeing my grandfather's Kodachrome shots of Anasazi dwellings as a six-year-old. That's what began my fascination with photography, as well.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Thanks for posting those great photos. When I first opened the page, I swear I thought paintings. Wow.

There is so much history out there, hidden away, or right in front of our eyes. How'd the people live, where'd they come from, and where'd they go - and why. All great questions that history brings.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Thanks Tom. These places were so remote it's amazing that people thrived here. There are no natural, persistent sources of water here so they used catch basins to catch run off after a hard rain. Here is a satellite view of Gran Quivira from Google Earth.

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 8.01.47 AM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Most amazing. Great shots. Reminds me of seeing my grandfather's Kodachrome shots of Anasazi dwellings as a six-year-old. That's what began my fascination with photography, as well.

Thanks Doc - I miss Kodachrome!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great pics indeed. Wonder what life was like when it was a thriving community?
The pics reminded me of the Masada ruins.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Next weekend the Gran Quivira Pueblo is hosting a group of astronomers and I am going out to try my hand at night-sky photography! They normally close at 5PM but on that Saturday they will stay open until 10PM. Gran Quivira is very far away from any lights so the night sky (IF it is clear) should be spectacular!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hoping you "good seeing"!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've been to both of those ruins sites. Those are both part of the Salinas National Monument right?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"That is correct! There is a third site we have not visited yet, Quarai."

When I was a kid I was quite obsessed with ruins and my dad took me to a ton of sites in TX, NM, CO, and AR.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I would have, maybe some day I'll make it out that way.