• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Antenna hole?

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We got the TR-3A body back from the sandblaster today, and along with the not-unexpected additional body work that needs to be done, there was a 1” hole for an antenna in the RH part of the cowl, right above the factory hole for the speaker.

A DPO had had a radio in it at some point. I’m wondering if the hole was a factory drill-out as well? Anybody have the same experience? It’ll be filled for sure (no radio for me) — just curious.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
When I stripped mine for a respray I found a second antenna hole where you describe (already had another antenna hole in the top of the right wing).

No idea when that hole in the cowl had been filled, never would have known it was there except for a strip to bare metal.

I doubt it was 'factory' - I am not even sure if speaker holes were 'factory' (my 59 does not have them).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Almost certainly not factory. Original radios were dealer-installed for cars delivered in the US. Otherwise, they tended to go missing during shipment.

I've got a copy of the installation instructions, that shows the antenna hole centered 11-7/8" forward of the door seam. But I've seen cars with it in all sorts of places; so it appears that even the dealers didn't always follow directions.

PS, I believe the speaker holes were factory, but only on earlier cars. Deleted in June 1959 according to a memo I've got.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UWbjZoV3dbvb22umr6D4TFWOt5ox86jD

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have an early '59 and it has speaker holes on both sides but no antenna hole.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have a hole in the cowl on the passenger side. 1961 TR3A.

I plan to fill it in as I will not have a radio.

David

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've got a copy of the installation instructions, that shows the antenna hole centered 11-7/8" forward of the door seam. But I've seen cars with it in all sorts of places; so it appears that even the dealers didn't always follow directions.
At the dealership where I did a brief stint as a mechanic in the early 60's, radio installations were given to the lowest tier of mechanics (me) so about anything was possible.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen that holes in the cowling before also. I thought maybe a mirror or one of those old school spot lights you can move around from inside.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Deleted in June 1959 according to a memo I've got...

Nevertheless, no speaker holes in my April 15, 1959 build:

8whQCzj.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seems like that is always the case with any change point. Some before the given point will get the change; some after won't get it.

Hard to say what happened here. The memo might be wrong, or perhaps your body got sped up somehow so it was finished (as a car) earlier than other bodies. Maybe there was an accident along the line, so the original body for your car was damaged, and they repaired it by grabbing a body from earlier in the normal process. Might be interesting to know how your "Mulliner's" number compares to other cars around that time.

If you read through Piggott's 'Original TR', he points out many other instances where changes didn't happen exactly as documented. For example, some pre-TS60K cars were built with the post-60K body. And vice versa!

So, I always take change points as being approximate. I quoted the memo more to show that there was a deliberate change (I believe) than because I trusted the date to be correct (especially in terms of being correct in all cases).

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Quite true, e.g. mine has no blanking plate on the right side of the firewall but many cars after mine did get one. Ah, the mysteries of STC.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have an August 59 build and it had the speaker holes but no right hand blanking plate. I had to cut a hole for the pedal box and steering column for the right hand steering conversion, all the other brackets and mounting points were allready in place.

Graham