• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windscreen Washer Question

Kaybee

Please pardon a rather trivial inquiry, but it's been almost 40 years since I last pushed the washer plunger on my dash and back then it worked fine. Is there some kind of priming procedure I need to use to get washer fluid flowing to the nozzles in front of the windscreen? Everything is new and properly hooked up and the reservoir is full, but I get not a drop of fluid out of the nozzles after thumb tiring plunger mashing.

Definitely not up there with SU carburetor tweaking or toe-in adjusting, but I could sure use some donated expertise.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Ken,

As I remember, the pump (on the dash) must be primed to seal its rubber internal parts. Without a little liquid and use, the internal parts could be held open by even a small edge on its flap piece. Also, make sure your pump tubes are not reversed and sucking air from the bonnet washers and not liquid from the reservoir.

Due to my never using the unit for years, I decided to install a push on/off switch inside the unit that now triggers the relay for my driving lights. A simple change that provides a useful but inconspicuous function and performs better then it did washing my windshield. By the way, I still have the tubes running to the reservoir, filled with washer fluid, under the bonnet and a few paper towels in the boot if I ever decide to clean my windshield.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
K

Kaybee

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. Status to date: Everything is new, even the reservoir bottle. I have blown through all tubes and they are clear. I have reversed the tubes at the pump and no joy. And I have pumped the plunger until I created a round little crater in my thumb.

I like Ray's idea of repurposing, but I am going to employ dual repurposing. I am going to use the plunger as a stress relief squeezee like high powered executives have on their desks. And, as events dictate, I will pretend it is a death ray button and use it on other driver's doing senseless and dangerous maneuvers that threaten the Healey.

Happy motoring to all,
Ken

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ken

I have had a similar problem over the years and last year I bit the bullet and installed an electric pump. I have stripped the old pump down and found that the main rubber seamed to be sound - but it still did not work. I have installed a switch for now but intend hiding a push switch into the old pump so that it looks the part.

Best of luck with yours

:cheers:

Bob

Country flag
Disconnect the line from the back of the pump and suck on it to get the fluid started from the reservoir. Blow through the other line to be sure it is clear to the outer body. If the tube from the reservoir fills, the other line will fill from pumping. (try some Rain-X in the reservoir instead of the standard window cleaner. You will get a nice beading on the window so you hardly need the wipers)

OP
K

Kaybee

Progress, but no brass ring yet. I discovered the check valve at the end of the pickup tube inside the fluid reservoir was stuck shut. I freed that and was able to suck fluid all the way up to the pump behind the dash. But pushing the plunger still won't move a single drop of fluid into the tube that goes to the spray nozzles. I have blown through that tube and it is not blocked. My plan to use the plunger as a stress relief squeezee has also failed because the continuing failure is raising my frustration level, not reducing it. On the plus side, I have learned what washer fluid tastes like.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions.

My new plan is to carry a bottle of Windex and a microfiber towelette in the boot.

Ken

RAC68

Darth Vader
Ken,

What happens when you take the pump from the dash and pump it under water? Do you get fluid passing out one of the tubes? If no fluid moves during this activity, I would say your pump does not work. However, if fluid does move through the pump then I would guess that your pump's check valve is not sealing sufficiently to allow the created vacuum to draw the fluid from the reservoir into the pump. Either condition would require the pump be replaced.

Although I do feel you are working hard to identify the issue and its resolution, I feel the very scarce use you will put the washer to when driving would not warrant the effort. However, I do understand why you would want the unit working and would also do as you are.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ken,

Although I do feel you are working hard to identify the issue and its resolution, I feel the very scarce use you will put the washer to when driving would not warrant the effort. However, I do understand why you would want the unit working and would also do as you are.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

In the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts if a car is equipped with windshield squirters they must be in working order in order to pass the annual safety inspection.

OP
K

Kaybee

In the great state of North Carolina cars over 25 years old are not subject to inspection of any kind. Except one DOT compliance [for the year it was made] inspection when you first register it, and that inspection is mainly to make sure it's not stolen. However...

Success! Sort of. I pumped the pump underwater (Thanks, Ray), and low and behold, it sucked fluid in one side and blew it out on the other. I put it back in the car, making sure no fluid drained out, and pumped the plunger. Blue fluid moved into the tubes leading to the nozzles. I continued pumping, waiting for a glorious spray on both sides of the windshield. What I got was two drops on the passenger side and maybe eight on the driver's side. I did get a little puddling on the cowl from drops that never reached the windshield. Nevertheless, I am declaring success because I took action that resulted in washer fluid being transferred to my windshield.

I also secretly admit defeat and hereby give up. But it now occurs to me why all this has happened. Back in the late 70s or early 80s my Air Force group did some flight testing for a couple weeks in the Yuma, Arizona desert in the summer. It was often 109 in the shade. Well, we had a full size Ford station wagon rental and it had some of the very first fluidic oscillator windshield washer nozzles. We discovered at a stoplight one day that they were designed to be used at speed. Because when we turned them on while we were stationary they hosed down the car behind us and the cars on either side of us. Well, being trained engineers, we recognized this as data and made a note of it.

The data was processed and led to the development of a strategy intended for every member of our group that was not in the car at the stoplight during the data discovery phase. The strategy was employed during lunch breaks when most of us were sitting in idling rental cars with the A/C cranked up. The process was to call a passerby over to either front door window under the pretense of wanting to ask a question. When they bent down to receive the inquiry, the washer would be activated and the victim would take a fluid blast in the face and ear. This worked without fail until everyone in the group had been victimized and knew better than to go anywhere near the Ford.

So, since I was a participant in, if not the instigator of, the development of the windshield washer ear wash strategy, I believe Karma was just waiting for an opportunity to even the score in the realm of windshield washer systems.

Thanks, everyone. I think we can put this one to bed.

Ken

Last edited:

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
In the So-So State of Oregon there's no inspection of any kind on cars titled as 1974 and earlier, and even those more recent get only an emissions test, and only in a couple of counties. Oh, while it's in for the emissions check they check to make sure that the Check Engine light is not glowing and if your car is leaking something or doing anything else of noteworthy anti-sociability, it will fail the inspection, but basically it's just an emissions check.

It's also interesting - to me, anyway - that if your car was not originally fitted with seat belts, you are not required to install them.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag

RAC68

Darth Vader
Ken,

Since the pump will move fluid when immersed in fluid, the issue seems to be how tight the pump flap is sealing. When submerged in fluid, the force of pumping is applied to a full internal volume of fluid and replacement after pumping requires no action/response-force to recharge the pump. However, when the pump is mounted above the external reservoir and needs the pump's compression-response to draw fluid up for internal charge replacement, the compression flap needs to open and a second flap needs to seal for the response cycle to draw up and secure a full replacement charge.

Since these push pump internal components are molded plastic or rubber, it is not unique to find ridges causing drag and flap-seal difficulties. Although it may be easier to try another pump, chances are finding a good one will be hit or miss .... LUCK. The only thing I would suggest is to continue to exercise the pump in place and often the parts will ware in.

Again, good luck, and enjoy your Healey during times when your windshield stays clean,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaybee

That's the plan, Ray. If the operability of a new replacement pump (which mine is) is so hit or miss, then they are too expensive to roll the dice again.

We are 150 miles into the break-in process and all is well so far. Unless you count the washer.

Has Springtime reached the Jersey Shore yet so you can take your White Lady out on the road?

Ken

OP
K

Kaybee

All polishing was done after paint and before any equipment went on or in the car. The nozzles and hoses are also new and the car has not had a wax application yet. But I checked the spray nozzles anyhow and they're clear.

I'm telling you, it's Karma from 40 some odd years ago.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Ken,

Thank you for asking. No the weather is still cold and wet but, hopefully, will clear up in the next week or two.

However, depending on how far you are with your Healey, I did receive notification of the Hagerty Touring Series' Smokey Mountain Tour that you may be interested in. This tour is planned to travel over the best mountain roads of North Carolina (June 10-14) and could be perfect for a memorable trip in your Healey. I have friends in NC that are seriously considering the tour and, if I could, would join them.

Tour NC Mountain Roads.jpg

However, you could need a working windscreen washer to qualify for the tour.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)