• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3D Printing Getting Closer

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I attended a meeting of The Austin Healey Sports & Touring Club and was pleasantly surprised by a presentation on 3D Printing by Steven Dibdin, owner of Additive Restoration. Steven explained that 3D printing is moving forward quite quickly and, as opposed to common manufacturing (as in milling and machining), takes an additive approach with Selective Laser Sintering used to melt and solidify layers of powered material into solid finished components.

As an example, Steven presented a dual point ignition rotor that he created for a Maserati OSCA racing car. As one of less than a handful worldwide, this late ‘50s car had no source for this part and its owner had no easy way of having one produced. Steven started by creating a digital design of the part and also modeled the cap. He then viewed the rotor’s operation within the cap and discovered that the spacing of cap terminals to each of the 2 rotor contacts was differed. To rectify this condition, he altered the design to even the spacing. His first phase of 3D printing was to form the contact component from sintered brass with the second phase to form the insulator around the brass. As a result, this complex part was produced with greater quality and reliability … just what we have been missing for many in Healey parts.

Steven explained that 3D printing is not a singular approach and the expansion of materials and types of lasers can now produce a broad range of One Off components larger then fenders and engine heads to others smaller than a human cell. As a result, actual (3D) printing is often outsourced with such organizations as Steven's providing computer aided design and plan services.

The 6 units made by Steven cost the OSCA owner $600 each and, although this seems expensive, when compared to the value of the car and the fact that there was no source for a replacement, the price was not out of line. This is a growing approach and, although presently expensive, prices for demand-quantities are dropping fast and could become a quality source of parts for our Healeys.

Thoughts?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:
OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bob,

I don't know about beating the price but the internals would not require the boring of channels or welsh plugs for cooling or component installation. There would be no stressing of the metal when created but I wonder if it would need cylinder honing. I have scheduled him to present at our club on June 6 and will ask what it would cost to create a head.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If I were starting over again, I think I would look into 3D printing as a career. The future for this technology seems limitless.

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
OK, That's 1 Stage 2 cylinder head for Bob and 1 wing nut for John. Is that it? Will that be cash or charge?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well having a sweet tooth I am going to go with that baker that just turned out specially shaped products using a 3D Printer. WOW! what is next????

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One of my dreams on this topic is that you can scan an existing part, then modify it to account for wear, and print. If there's only one remaining passenger side door handle in the world for your vehicle, and there are none for the driver's side, then you can scan/modify/invert the passenger side and then print the driver's side component. Fingers crossed that suppliers will develop relationships with such companies (scanning, modifying, ensuring materials suitability, printing) and vice versa, and that dang near anything you want will be available so long as you justify the cost. Doug

Kainopong

Let me know if you find them!
I think they could be made by someone who does lost wax investment casting if we can finger an original part or someone can laser scan an original that could be fed into a CNC

daughterofgirl

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi All,

I attended a meeting of The Austin Healey Sports & Touring Club and was pleasantly surprised by a presentation on 3D Printing by Steven Dibdin, owner of Additive Restoration. Steven explained that 3D printing is moving forward quite quickly and, as opposed to common manufacturing (as in milling and machining), takes an additive approach with Selective Laser Sintering used to melt and solidify layers of powered material into solid finished components.

As an example, Steven presented a dual point ignition rotor that he created for a Maserati OSCA racing car. As one of less than a handful worldwide, this late ‘50s car had no source for this part and its owner had no easy way of having one produced. Steven started by creating a digital design of the part and also modeled the cap. He then viewed the rotor’s operation within the cap and discovered that the spacing of cap terminals to each of the 2 rotor contacts was differed. To rectify this condition, he altered the design to even the spacing. His first phase of 3D printing was to form the contact component from sintered brass with the second phase to form the insulator around the brass. As a result, this complex part was produced with greater quality and reliability … just what we have been missing for many in Healey parts.

Steven explained that 3D printing is not a singular approach and the expansion of materials and types of lasers can now produce a broad range of One Off components larger then fenders and engine heads to others smaller than a human cell. As a result, actual (3D) printing is often outsourced with such organizations as Steven's providing computer aided design and plan services.

The 6 units made by Steven cost the OSCA owner $600 each and, although this seems expensive, when compared to the value of the car and the fact that there was no source for a replacement, the price was not out of line. This is a growing approach and, although presently expensive, prices for demand-quantities are dropping fast and could become a quality source of parts for our Healeys.

Thoughts?

Ray(64BJ8P1)
I wanted to write in this thread about the fact that 4 years have passed and there are many places where 3D printing is used in the automotive industry, but then I started to google and realized that nothing really has changed yet. Or I'm somehow not looking for information correctly. I found information that now 3D printing is used for prototyping (obviously), and manufacturers want to start using it in the interior of a car, but so far I have not found any exact references to implementation and development. Is there any information about this? :smile:

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My former product development firm had (has) a Stratasys 3D printer. Although the plastic resin parts produced were not performance quality, due to the types of resins used plus the inherent weaker stress values of 3D printed parts vs molded or machined parts, they were still extremely valuable for evaluating fit and function at the prototype level. 3D printing is becoming so commonplace now that affordable bench-top units are available for hobbyists. Just don't expect to produce anything like a high-stress component. But that will likely change as the technology improves.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Try these

Attachments

• 6325024B-7643-42E9-ACBE-AB0BA9CBB0D0.png
    6325024B-7643-42E9-ACBE-AB0BA9CBB0D0.png
    905.9 KB · Views: 54