• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Seal too large for Surrey backlight

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
The seal seems to large for the back light frame. I sent this picture to TRF, they said it should fit or I could cut it or send it back, they also said they had an earlier batch that was too small I took it to a glass shop today they said the seal was too large and could not install the glass. If they cut it would have a gap. Will it actually fit using a different technique or should I send it back. If I send it back I am concerned the new one won't be any better. Ideas?

DSCN2061 (1024x742).jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I just talked to a friend who did this operation within the last month - he wound up using TRF's seal - bought within the last 2 months. He had a seal from Moss UK that was a couple of years old, and it was a bit too small and had a gap issue by the sharp curved area of the backlight.

I'm not sure if you have a problem yet, but it does look a bit big. Have you tried testing it on the glass yet? I'd think there is some give to these so if it fit on the glass I'm betting it will work just fine.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you for the response. I bought the seal several years ago when TRF was having a sale. It is too big for the glass also. So guess I will try a new one.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think that’s a good move - my friends glass installer actually complimented the TRF gasket as being a good fit so have them send you a replacement.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have done two and that is not going to work. That is so far out of length that I would question if it might be a front windshield gasket. But I do not know what the comparison is between the two gaskets .
Both of mine came from TRF several years ago and were good but tight.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I had the same problem...I let the glass company install the tripleX using an off the shelf glazing rubber...no chrome finisher, but that's the way it goes sometimes, you do what you have to do.
And the windshield rubber on the TR6 is smaller in circumference than the one for the backlight.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
And----- the TR6 and TR4 use the same windshield. So it would not be for the front windshield.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have the same problem on a seal I bought from TRF a few years ago too. I did the same thing you did however when it is installed it is put around the glass first then with wire or rope it is pulled through and onto the mounting flange. I just assumed mine was too long because I was playing around and installing it incorrectly.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I am going to send it back and buy a new one. Sounds like the newer seal fits. I see the glass is available again, not inexpensive but good news. I was living in terror over breaking my original.