• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

spark plugs

Goldie

Country flag
What are the recommended spark plugs for my 67 BJ8. I think I had used NGK and Champions in the past. Are there any newer versions than what has been used for the last 40 years.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What are the recommended spark plugs for my 67 BJ8. I think I had used NGK and Champions in the past. Are there any newer versions than what has been used for the last 40 years.

Bosh Platinum "WR 7DP" can't be beat

D

Deleted member 21878

What gap do you run them at? i am running a Pertronix ignitor. Also would the resister version help on the Pertronix ignition?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They come at .030 out of the box--or are supposed to anyway. I always check the gap before installation but I cannot recall a time when I had to reset the gap, and I am talking about on the race cars for which I will change plugs at least once a weekend whether I need to or not, which comes to a lot of plugs.

If there is a guy at the NGK factory whose job it is to set the gap on each plug before putting it in the box he deserves a shoutout.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I like the NGK plugs as well and often wondered if a wider gap would be beneficial. I am using a Crane electronic ignition and Hot coil with the original distributor but have remained at 0.030 plug gap because the car revs freely to over 5K RPMs without difficulty.

I guess I will stick to the settings I have since all seems well and I am not sure what I would gain by expanding the gap in our engines.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
What gap do you run them at? i am running a Pertronix ignitor. Also would the resister version help on the Pertronix ignition?

I'm running OEM Lucas cap, Ignitor, stock coil, stranded copper core wires, resistor plug terminals and Champion RN12YC plugs (both the terminals and plugs are 15KOhms, I believe). Book gap is 0.025," I run at 0.028". I don't think the Ignitor cares about the secondary resistance--that's mostly to mitigate EMI and the wires are electrically isolated by the coil--but there is a spec for coil resistance (IIRC it's 1.5ohms). I've run this setup for at least 100K miles with no issues; the only ignition problem I've had was an aftermarket distributor cap--I think it was Bosch--which arced under load and caused an intermittent miss.

Side note: I have an Aussie 'internet friend' who wanted to surprise one of his mates doing a concours resto with some OEM Champion plugs. The only ones he could find were a couple sellers on eBay, but they wouldn't ship to Australia. So, he had them sent to me and I forwarded them to him. Might have been that last .01 point at concours ;)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi All,

I like the NGK plugs as well and often wondered if a wider gap would be beneficial. I am using a Crane electronic ignition and Hot coil with the original distributor but have remained at 0.030 plug gap because the car revs freely to over 5K RPMs without difficulty.

I guess I will stick to the settings I have since all seems well and I am not sure what I would gain by expanding the gap in our engines.

Ray(64BJ8P1)
With my Crane and Sports Coil I measured ~50K volts for the spark. With that much voltage, one could probably get away with a 0.250 gap. Yes, I really do mean a quarter inch.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
With a sports coil and pertronicx, Solid stranded plug wires and Bosh connectors I run 40 thousands on the plug gap