• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Son leaving Florida

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Son is leaving Florida for new job in Boston area.
He won't like the weather. 5 months of golf instead of 12.
His Alfa will wind up in my underhouse garage. The John Deere will have to move over. I know less about them than I know about the TR6 in my upstairs garage. I did talk to another owner last year. I asked him who does his repair work. He said "Me". He owns a garage in back country Greenwich. He may be seeing a lot of me. Wish me luck. I see a couple of regulars on here own Alfa Spiders. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is a '92, color green. Funny but I have a red English car and soon a green Italian one. I know it will need new seat covers. The so-called Alcantara - whatever the f^%# that is- is deteriorating.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Since about 1975, I've sold 'em, owned 'em and wrenched on 'em in dealerships. Much prefer the pre-'80 cars, had three GTV's over the years and now this Spider.

Never spent time in the New England area, so no good connections there. It appears there's a ready resource in Greenwich, though. Also, there is likely a good AROC chapter in the Boston area.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - if you're still looking for an Alfa shop, how 'bout Alfas Unlimited, near Lime Rock CT.

https://alfasunlimited.com/about-us/

Or you could let me take it off your hands ...

Tom M.

Son is leaving Florida for new job in Boston area.
He won't like the weather. 5 months of golf instead of 12.
His Alfa will wind up in my underhouse garage. The John Deere will have to move over. I know less about them than I know about the TR6 in my upstairs garage. I did talk to another owner last year. I asked him who does his repair work. He said "Me". He owns a garage in back country Greenwich. He may be seeing a lot of me. Wish me luck. I see a couple of regulars on here own Alfa Spiders. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is a '92, color green. Funny but I have a red English car and soon a green Italian one. I know it will need new seat covers. The so-called Alcantara - whatever the f^%# that is- is deteriorating.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Which ones? The only team I can think of around that area is the Patriots.

them's fightin' words ...

170px-New_England_Patriots_logo_old.svg.png

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oh, I'm sorry Tom. I'll play nice and leave the Cheatriots alone.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey pd, I know you like to read. Get yourself a couple of these. It'll be like the old days.

Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey look at this. I didn't know an Alfa could do that! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Attachments

• 18403324_10154451756922541_812687294776056881_n.jpg
    18403324_10154451756922541_812687294776056881_n.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 24
OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the info. The paperwork may prove to be troublesome. I may just keep it for him and add the car to my Hagerty TR6 policy if I can.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Update. Car is out of storage and going down to shop in Miami to fix "little problems" like driver's door chime won't shut off, passenger doorhandle doesn't work and get a tuneup. I told son to just disconnect the chime as I did on my TR6 door buzzer. Things left off a car can't give trouble. But - what am I letting myself in for? Old friend of mine just bought himself an 85th birthday present - a racing model Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio - something like 500 hp. Told me not to buy one. Too uncomfortable on the road. But this guy still goes to Sebring and races around the track. Regular Giulias are scarce so far. Saw only my second one - a white one - today. They've had electrical problems. What else is new?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A few of my pals are Alfisti, there's a Quadrifoglio owner among 'em. Goes like stink!

I assume the Miami shop is Auto Veloce? Have your son say a "Ciao bella!" for me. Haven't seen Luciano since our last trip to the Collier Collection, a couple years ago.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Auto Veloce is it. Two-sometimes 3 generation shop when dad comes over from Italy to help out. I've never been there but son Dan raves about the place. Every furrin car owner should have a Luciano. All too scarce and getting scarcer as the old-timers die off, leaving the field to incompetents, crooks and high-priced boutique shops that most of us can't afford, especially in the northeast.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The in-laws lived in North Miami Beach, bro-in-law had a business next door to Auto Veloce. Trips down there were for holidays and I'd spend some time in the shop, lend a hand if I saw it was helpful. Luciano's dad, on learning I had an Italian heritage asked: "Born in this country?" Answering: "Yes." he jokingly responded: "FALSE Italian!" In truth, it was like visiting long-lost family.

Luciano once had a customer with an Alfa who also had a Mini with some SU carb issues, he said he didn't have experience with those, so sent them to me to go thru and rebuild. He got them back and was a bit surprised when out-of-the-box they ran correctly. :friendly_wink:

pdplot said:
Every furrin car owner should have a Luciano. All too scarce and getting scarcer as the old-timers die off, leaving the field to incompetents, crooks and high-priced boutique shops that most of us can't afford, especially in the northeast.

Truth. The shop a pal and self ran in Sarasota closed down after a couple decades, just he 'n me wrenching on old "Eurotrash" with a similar M.O. to Auto Veloce. We restored, rebuilt and repaired about anything coming in, from V-12 Ferraris and Jags, to Minis and MG's.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Every furrin car owner should have a Luciano. All too scarce and getting scarcer as the old-timers die off, leaving the field to incompetents, crooks and high-priced boutique shops that most of us can't afford, especially in the northeast."

The import shop I used to turn wrenches at is long gone. My old boss now builds hot rods, back when I worked there we worked a ton of MGBs, a lot of Mercedes, some Triumphs, some Jags, one or two Alfas and Fiats, etc.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Doc - how about coming up to CT and opening a shop. Bring Luciano with you. There are plenty of cars and not many who can work on them.