• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best/Cheapest Way to Ship a Vehicle Cross - Country?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I found a truck ('97 Nissan King Cab,with 98,000 miles) in Bend,Oregon,
but need an affordable way to get it here.
Ideas?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've used UShip before to find a shipper (that time was for a motorcycle). Price was reasonable. Otherwise it's a one-way flight and a banzai run across the country.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I found a truck ('97 Nissan King Cab,with 98,000 miles) in Bend,Oregon,
but need an affordable way to get it here.
Ideas?

Surely that adds $1000 to your budget to buy locally. They getting rarer but not that rare.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Drive it
Can't beat that price"

That also gives you a good chance to get familiar with it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Driving it adds up, no? I mean, with in motels/hotels... gas... wear and tear on your body. I'd ship.
I once used, I think it was, Magic Carpet (or some such name) and it was very reasonable (for enclosed transport that was subcontracted to Exotic Motors). But that was for a shipment up I-5 (an LA to Seattle run with Portland along the way).
As you probably know, many (most?) transporting companies are really just brokers that subcontract to the actual carriers (unless you deal directly companies such as InterCity). Many of the larger carriers will require that you wait until they can conveniently pick up and add to a growing load. The trouble with Bend (Oregon) is that it's, well, in Bend (on 97 - which will be considered off the beaten path).

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
We paid 1k to ship a car from California to Pittsburgh. Biggest problem was waiting / lack of definite schedule. Flight plus drive is cheapest / most fun. (In our case, California will not give temp tags, unless you pay sales tax. CA tax is significantly higher than PA, and it wasn’t worth losing the tax, even though we would not have to pay additional PA sales tax. Thus we paid for transport.)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A 20 year old truck for sale in Oregon, by a dealer? And you're in Virginia? I'd sure want to make a long and detailed personal inspection - myself - and drive it before laying down any money at all.

https://bend.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1997-nissan-king-cab-xe-4x2/6538611107.html

And to personally inspect it, I'd have to get to Oregon. Last I checked, traveling coast to coast costs a few pennies - and that's even before you've decided to buy it.

There are King Cabs closer to Roanoke.

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/search/cta?query="king+cab"&srchType=T

Just my two shekels.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As it's just what I'm looking for,plus the low mileage,I at least wanted
to look into it.So far,bids on shipping are over $2000,more than I'm willing to spend.
As far as flying in/driving out - I thought about that,& would want to come
through Montana on the way back.It'd end up costing a fair amount,plus I don't really
want to drive that far with iffy weather.Plus,I just started work here,& might have a
hard time getting time off.I'm figuring at least 10 days,plus it cost a lot to fly out of here.
If anyone finds a truck like that,please let me know.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Seems like all that (and costs) would justify waiting to find something similar near you. :eek: