• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GAH! Catastrophic hard drive crash!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So the Winblows machine I was trying to "warm up to" has lost its mind. BSoD! Additionally, the firewall machine started acting flinky over the weekend, that turns out to be the power supply.

I think it's th' Russians! :smirk:

D

Deleted member 8987

BTDT. Macrium Reflect Image on a 2.1TB EHD fixed all files and OS to the new 500GB hard drive.

A week ago tomorrow MicroSlime had their Toosdee update....and had three for XP (still covered on 64 bit and "Enterprise" systems)...and the update overwrote AV files, locked the computer up (wife's..only one with Updates still internally enabled), and took 5+ hours to figure it out...and I did. SafeMode worked.
fltmgr.sys was the alleged culprit, but came down to msconfig and disabling everything but Windoze components, then unloading AV and re-load, and it works fine...and updates are now killed.

We used to have to watch those updates with MS like a hawk..."custom", write the KB numbers down, search all of them, find out which ones were threaded up, load the good ones and wait for the next week and do it again.

Couldn't trust them then, don't trust them now.

D

Deleted member 8987

What was the symptom? Did you get a modified blue screen of death?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Aliens.....I tell ya,it was Aliens!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TOC said:
We used to have to watch those updates with MS like a hawk..."custom", write the KB numbers down, search all of them, find out which ones were threaded up, load the good ones and wait for the next week and do it again.

Been S.O.P. with the KB numbers for as long as XP & 7 have been going. All my "children" (clients' machines) have had auto updates disabled. PITA to wade thru all of 'em (the KB's) but necessary.

TOC said:
What was the symptom? Did you get a modified blue screen of death?

BSoD indicated a hard drive fail, haven't been motivated to go into it further. Likely will use a new 1T drive and load it with CEntOS. That takes care of Billy's influence for me.

D

Deleted member 8987

All my "children" (clients' machines) have had auto updates disabled.

It's one thing to turn off auto updates..it's another to kill them in such a way Gates and Co cannot write the updates in such a way that they can override your settings (oh, like maybe WGA Critical Update?).

Works for sure: XP, 7, 8.0 and 8.1.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Still haven't been bothered to fix the WinBox, and the firewall got a new power supply an hour ago. All good (so far).

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm, I tried to send a set of files to another email address using Windows 8.1 and they wouldn't go through, no matter how hard I tried, so I fired up the Linux machine, loaded the files in it and sent them off with no problem! Same email program in each machine. I love Linux, it's just that I have so many files in the Windows machines, yes I'm slowly moving them. :rolleyes2: PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for making me appreciate our iMacs once again...

I made the switch from PC to iMac somewhere around 2009-2010 time frame. First bought the wife an iMac because she needed a kinder, gentler interface than the PC offered. I started playing around with hers and eventually came to like it so bought my own iMac. I have never looked back!

D

Deleted member 8987

I use what I use because A) I am used to it and familiar with it, B) I can get these all the time free or dirt cheap, and C) I'm just ornery.

I don't seem to have issues sending files with Outlook Express 6. Of course that is far older than some of the newest batch of computer nerds.

My Ubuntu works okay....somewhat difficult to transition between what I am using and Ubuntu, but I do.

D

Deleted member 8987

BTDT. Macrium Reflect Image on a 2.1TB EHD fixed all files and OS to the new 500GB hard drive.

A week ago tomorrow MicroSlime had their Toosdee update....and had three for XP (still covered on 64 bit and "Enterprise" systems)...and the update overwrote AV files, locked the computer up (wife's..only one with Updates still internally enabled), and took 5+ hours to figure it out...and I did. SafeMode worked.
fltmgr.sys was the alleged culprit, but came down to msconfig and disabling everything but Windoze components, then unloading AV and re-load, and it works fine...and updates are now killed.

and yesterday my second XP-64 machine did exactly the same thing..but same fix...and took 20 minutes instead of 5+ hours.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have to use Win 10 for work but for home I love my IPad Pro
its Apple it works. Heck I still a IPod Nano from 2006 just used it all week long in SXM
i find I no longer want to fuss with windows
and for a 5 bucks a month of iCloud storage I don’t worry about crashing drives.
also being able to acces every thing from all my apple devices is just easy.