• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Cars

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I went to a new car show last night, with a swack of different dealers and models (YES! I want to meet the woman advertising the Ford "Bullit" Mustang's ability to grab the last parking spot!). I haven't done this for dang near half a century, and was really impressed: 3 hp/cubic inch in a grocery getter with a factory warranty! Heck, with a 1275 modern equivalent in the BE, I should have well over 200 hp!
I was really impressed with the designs and the modern vehicle choices and the improvements in technology on all fronts that have occurred. But...
There's been a few threads over the years asking how many of the current (2018) vehicles will still be on the road in the future (the first BE came out 60 years back). And I really liked the 0-60 mph in 4.4 second Mercedes grocery getter (and the price wasn't half bad), but I think I'd rather own a used mini-van and something that would appear on the Forum.
The last major change Morgan has made was to add a 4th wheel back around Winston Churchill's time, but I also saw a recent ad for a pretty immaculate 300 hp 1990 Morgan 1990 Plus 8....
If I want to go fast/quick/everything, then no holds barred go-kart racing is the way to go. If I want comfort and adequate performance, then there a lot of choices in air-conditioned minivans etc. etc. But if I want something special: welcome to what we find on the British Car Forum.

Doug

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I find the rawness of the LBCs liberating. Yes, my wife's Nissan Altima can out accelerate, out turn and out brake the Sprite (In fact, according to the numbers, the Altima is the fastest car I've ever owned). But for pure driving joy, you can't beat a British sports car. Every input is direct from you without any power boosters, what you put in is what you get, and there are few things more fun than rowing the gearbox.

nomad

Yoda
Ditto the above. There is no new car I would want to own right now. Cars that discharge the battery's if you leave them sit for a couple of weeks. Cars that are heavy with no road feel transmitted to the driver. Cars that are IMHO UGLY! I liked the looks of the Fiat 500 till I discovered that the only connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels is a electric wire and many others are being built the same way! I'll keep driving what I've got till they won't go anymore and I can't fix them!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Speed/Acceleration is a bit overrated in my opinion. I had three daily driver's in succession, each a bit faster than the last. Each "felt" fast at first, then after a short time of ownership just kind of felt normal. Maybe Cobra/Ferrari fast is a thrill that doesn't wear off, I don't know, never owned one. I do have a friend with a Jag F type with 500 some hp, it is certainly a hoot to press on the loud pedal, but after a brief squirt you are breaking laws and probably endangering your safety and that of others. I too like the raw, direct, and light feel you get scooting around in an old LBC. I also frequent the modern general interest car site, Jalopnik. The saying there is driving a slow car fast us greater than or more fun than driving a fast car slow. I wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It seems I must agree. My 3 "toy" cars are a Prefect (36 hp flathead 4), a Super Beetle (about 60 hp opposed 4) and a Sprite (whatever hp the 1275 produces). I do have to admit that it can be fun on those occasions when it is necessary to get my foot just a little bit into the Saab's turbo to pass a truck on a mountain road.

nomad

Yoda
A friend and I were interested in a RX7 that was available locally. This was the last really good looking 2 seater....also very fast! He test drove it and realized that he was over all legal speed limits before he was out of 3rd gear. It was at least a five speed and may have been a six. Don't remember but he decided that in the interest of keeping his license he passed on it. I decided he was right and did the same.

Kurt

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
A friend and I were interested in a RX7 that was available locally. This was the last really good looking 2 seater....also very fast! He test drove it and realized that he was over all legal speed limits before he was out of 3rd gear. It was at least a five speed and may have been a six. Don't remember but he decided that in the interest of keeping his license he passed on it. I decided he was right and did the same.

Kurt

I did the same with a Firebird a few years ago - ended up with a Suzuki Samurai - much less power much much more fun. Twice in the last two weeks I have seen Lambos struggling to keep to the speed limit. James Hunt used to drive an Austin A35 van - said he could drive it flat out and never exceed the speed limit. Similarly the Midget - I can flog it all day long and never go too fast.

OTOH if I have to go anywhere, give me a modern car with cruise and AC and fuel injection - I don't need any more adventure than deciding what radio channel to listen to.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My Prefect is like that Austin. According to the owners manual, its top speed is 55 mph. Since it won't go 60, its acceleration is rated for 0 to 50 at 27 seconds.