• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop manuals

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
Haven't worked on any LBCs since I sold my TR8. A friend has asked me to resolve some issues with a 15,000 mile 74 Midget to ready it for sale. Among other things, the engine is coming out. My question is about how detailed some commercial shop manuals are. Does the Haynes Manual have engine specs for measuring everything? I'm an experienced mechanic but will not go beyond teardown without specs to measure crank journals, bores, etc. Why am I removing the engine? Well, the cooling system is EMPTY, and the crankcase is FULL, and it isn't just oil !!! So, we'll be hoping for a head gasket, but may be looking at a cracked block or head. YTBD. The car is in otherwise extraordinary, has NEVER been stored outside, so we are hoping for just a head gasket and no crank damage.

If the Haynes manual is not sufficient, what should I be looking for?

JimLaney

My Haynes manual has specs. The Leyland manual is very good also.

nomad

Yoda
Bentley is best but I believe that you can find the info on line or by asking here.:smile: What year is the car and is the engine original to it?

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Haynes is known to be filled with errors and omissions. I would proceed with caution. The Bentley is the reprint of the OEM shop manual.

OP
B

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
The Haynes is known to be filled with errors and omissions. I would proceed with caution. The Bentley is the reprint of the OEM shop manual.

Good heads up. I have been working on BMWs for a decade, and have grown to question things in the Bentleys. But compared to Chiltons .............................

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I like to have them all! Haynes (my perception) is the best of the after-market bunch; the Bentley reprints are great; and the original factory manuals (with their incredibly clarify of drawings) are just that much better. Considering the cost/value of the car, picking up a couple of manuals over time is something you can't go wrong doing. Later, Doug

OP
B

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the input. This is a one time project, so between the Haynes Manual and good old Google, I should be fine. With lots of time doing mechanical restorations on a GT6 and TR8, plus endless repair work at all levels on 80s to 2005 3 Series BMWs, the wrench spinning experience is good and my shop is well equipped. Fortunately, this is a super low miles completely solid 74 Midget, so this far nothing is rusted together. Even getting the downpipe off of the exhaust manifold was easy(ish). Sadly, crappy repairs in the past plus the ravages of NON-use has resulted in leaking drive train seals, empty brake system, and all the coolant living in the oil pan. Fortunately, parts are cheap, and Victoria British is 30 minutes away.

The goo in the pan was drained at a temperature of about 50 deg F and was the thickness of honey !!! The engine comes out today !!!

Attachments

• 20180318_112652[1].jpg
    20180318_112652[1].jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180318_113749[1].jpg
    20180318_113749[1].jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 72

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
to reiterate Bob, especially as you have experience with cars and, since, this is a one off, I am sure we would be more than happy to provide you with the info you need, scans etc. just let us know.

OP
B

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
to reiterate Bob, especially as you have experience with cars and, since, this is a one off, I am sure we would be more than happy to provide you with the info you need, scans etc. just let us know.

Thanks.

It might even motivate me to start putting my GT6 back together.

But first, I have to resolve why there was THREE GALLONS of gray goo in the crankcase. The engine is now out, and except for the rotating assembly, it is apart. Still no clues. The head gasket was holding onto the head rather well, and it sure was stuck to the deck, too. At 15k miles, I am absolutely convinced this is the first time the head's been off. SO far, it looks as it should. But with ZERO fluid in the entire cooling system, clearly it is not well.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks.

It might even motivate me to start putting my GT6 back together.

But first, I have to resolve why there was THREE GALLONS of gray goo in the crankcase. The engine is now out, and except for the rotating assembly, it is apart. Still no clues. The head gasket was holding onto the head rather well, and it sure was stuck to the deck, too. At 15k miles, I am absolutely convinced this is the first time the head's been off. SO far, it looks as it should. But with ZERO fluid in the entire cooling system, clearly it is not well.

Years ago I knew a fellow who changed the oil in his truck but "forgot" to drain the old oil - did not go well for the engine.