Thread: Shop manuals

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Shop manuals

Haven't worked on any LBCs since I sold my TR8. A friend has asked me to resolve some issues with a 15,000 mile 74 Midget to ready it for sale. Among other things, the engine is coming out. My question is about how detailed some commercial shop manuals are. Does the Haynes Manual have engine specs for measuring everything? I'm an experienced mechanic but will not go beyond teardown without specs to measure crank journals, bores, etc. Why am I removing the engine? Well, the cooling system is EMPTY, and the crankcase is FULL, and it isn't just oil !!! So, we'll be hoping for a head gasket, but may be looking at a cracked block or head. YTBD. The car is in otherwise extraordinary, has NEVER been stored outside, so we are hoping for just a head gasket and no crank damage.

If the Haynes manual is not sufficient, what should I be looking for?
    Bob Buxbaum
    Lee's Summit, Mo.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Shop manuals

My Haynes manual has specs. The Leyland manual is very good also.
    Jim Laney
    2 MKIII Sprites - in process
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650
    2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
    past: BE, MkII, AH 3000

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JimLaney View Post
    My Haynes manual has specs. The Leyland manual is very good also.
    Excellent. Thanks.

This is a one shot deal, so paying north of $50 makes no sense since the Haynes are about $20.
    Bob Buxbaum
    Lee's Summit, Mo.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bentley is best but I believe that you can find the info on line or by asking here. What year is the car and is the engine original to it?

Kurt.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Haynes is known to be filled with errors and omissions. I would proceed with caution. The Bentley is the reprint of the OEM shop manual.
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    The Haynes is known to be filled with errors and omissions. I would proceed with caution. The Bentley is the reprint of the OEM shop manual.
    Good heads up. I have been working on BMWs for a decade, and have grown to question things in the Bentleys. But compared to Chiltons .............................
    Bob Buxbaum
    Lee's Summit, Mo.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to have them all! Haynes (my perception) is the best of the after-market bunch; the Bentley reprints are great; and the original factory manuals (with their incredibly clarify of drawings) are just that much better. Considering the cost/value of the car, picking up a couple of manuals over time is something you can't go wrong doing. Later, Doug
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the input. This is a one time project, so between the Haynes Manual and good old Google, I should be fine. With lots of time doing mechanical restorations on a GT6 and TR8, plus endless repair work at all levels on 80s to 2005 3 Series BMWs, the wrench spinning experience is good and my shop is well equipped. Fortunately, this is a super low miles completely solid 74 Midget, so this far nothing is rusted together. Even getting the downpipe off of the exhaust manifold was easy(ish). Sadly, crappy repairs in the past plus the ravages of NON-use has resulted in leaking drive train seals, empty brake system, and all the coolant living in the oil pan. Fortunately, parts are cheap, and Victoria British is 30 minutes away.

The goo in the pan was drained at a temperature of about 50 deg F and was the thickness of honey !!! The engine comes out today !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Buxbaum
    Lee's Summit, Mo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

to reiterate Bob, especially as you have experience with cars and, since, this is a one off, I am sure we would be more than happy to provide you with the info you need, scans etc. just let us know.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    to reiterate Bob, especially as you have experience with cars and, since, this is a one off, I am sure we would be more than happy to provide you with the info you need, scans etc. just let us know.
    Thanks.

It might even motivate me to start putting my GT6 back together.

But first, I have to resolve why there was THREE GALLONS of gray goo in the crankcase. The engine is now out, and except for the rotating assembly, it is apart. Still no clues. The head gasket was holding onto the head rather well, and it sure was stuck to the deck, too. At 15k miles, I am absolutely convinced this is the first time the head's been off. SO far, it looks as it should. But with ZERO fluid in the entire cooling system, clearly it is not well.
    Bob Buxbaum
    Lee's Summit, Mo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buxbaum View Post
    Thanks.

It might even motivate me to start putting my GT6 back together.

But first, I have to resolve why there was THREE GALLONS of gray goo in the crankcase. The engine is now out, and except for the rotating assembly, it is apart. Still no clues. The head gasket was holding onto the head rather well, and it sure was stuck to the deck, too. At 15k miles, I am absolutely convinced this is the first time the head's been off. SO far, it looks as it should. But with ZERO fluid in the entire cooling system, clearly it is not well.
    Years ago I knew a fellow who changed the oil in his truck but "forgot" to drain the old oil - did not go well for the engine.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)