• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Were is the lug wrench?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was heading home from Baltimore today in my wife’s RAV4. We bought it new about 2.5 years ago.
Strange noise coming from rear; I pull over and find the right rear tire is flat (it picked up a bolt). No problem, I pull the spare and the jack, but the lug wrench was no-where to be found. I check everywhere in the trunk as cars are whizzing by me on the highway. Finally call the dealer and ask where it is- “it’s in the trunk” says the service manager from the dealer. “No way” I tell him.
A guy stopped in a Ford truck and pulled out his lug wrench and thankfully it fit.
Changed the tire a headed to the dealer. Of course the service manager couldn’t find it either!
I’ll take some blame since I never checked in the trunk when we picked up the car.
Dealer is getting me toolkit that was “supposed” to come with the car.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Very strange it wasn't there, and one of those seldom considered bits to look for until you need it. What other things are in the "kit" supposed to be with the car?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doc, also missing from the “kit” was the jack handle. The only items in the trunk were the donut spare and the jack.
The dealer said they go through a checklist prior to turning the car over. As much as I believe him, it’s just not there and the spare was never removed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That wouldn't have gotten past me. Had to be thorough. As one of two sales weasels, we were responsible for the inspections AND correcting any issues.

"P.D.I." in my days at the Alfa/Lotus dealership. Pre Delivery Inspection. Alfas would come off the truck with all the parts that didn't get put ON the car in production thrown into the trunk. And that made for some interesting times. I'd refer to it as Pre Delivery Assembly. :smirk:

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That’s amazing... parts that still need to be installed!
A different time doc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Different, indeed. That little shop has turned into a behemoth.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, not an option. It was never in the car. The only items in the trunk were the spare and jack. It’s all taken care of as I now have the tool kit from the dealer.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sorry I misunderstood ... Yes I had a spare; it was the small "50-mile" donut spare.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My dad bought a Lancia Appia coupe back in the '50's. Beautiful little car, but a do-it-yourelf project when he bought it. hardly anything worked. Dealer had to correct and we also had to re-fasten doorhandles, heater controls, etc. he blew the little V4 angine trying to get up his driveway on an icy day. Only 2 main bearings.