• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Temperature Gauge for 1954 TR-2 & Hand Crank

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recently purchased a 1954 TR-2, which I plan to restore. It is missing the temperature gauge and none of the Parts Houses carry them. Does anybody have a old, workable temperaturegauge they would like to part with? I certainly will pay your asking price. Looking for a crank too.

Dick Vinal

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Dick-

Sorry don't have a gauge for you- however one option is if you can get a broken one to use as a core and send it off to one of the gauge rebuilding services. I've used Mo-Ma several times and am happy with their work - I also watched their expert rebuild a capillary temperature gauge and can confirm they know what they are doing.

Randy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Those things are fragile enough that there are very, very few of them just laying around. There is a vendor on eBay selling an approximate reproduction; fine for a driver but not for what I would call a "restoration". Most likely, you'll need to find a broken original and have it rebuilt.

However, as a temporary substitute, almost any 2" mechanical water temperature gauge will work.

I'm actually using the temp gauge from an early TR4, which is electric rather than mechanical. It looks very nearly identical to the original, but requires some other modifications like a voltage stabilizer, correct sender and a wire to the sender.

MGKPVaJ.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The last NOS temp gage sold on Ebay for $325, about a year ago. I watched for 4 years and finally got a trashed gage with a face that is in good shape to transfer to my working internals...and I paid $80 for that. Of all the gages, the temp is by far the rarest currently.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I had mine restored last summer by Nisonger for around $200 as I recall. Old cores are fairly readily available if the TR2 units are the same as the TR3s and I think they are.
Tom

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The guy on E bay that builds new look a like gauges do look good. At a casual glance or a fairly close look it will probable pass except for very knowledgeable people.

David

Temp gauge.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
One of these days I'll get around to repairing my original. In the meantime, I bought one of those replacements from ebay. It's a fairly good representation of the original. but there are some significant differences if you look closely. Also, it has it's own lighting which is different from the original. I've been using it for a few years now.

Here is the listing for the gauge on ebay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR...ash=item239c5c95e9:g:JDEAAOSwqYBWmIGv&vxp=mtr

002.jpg

004.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Looking for a crank too...

Can't help you there other than to note that the cranks varied through the model changes and you, of course, want an early one. Many of the used ones on offer will be for the 3A which will not be suitable for you - the 'shoulder' that rides in the crank guide will be in the wrong spot.

I believe this is a photo of a TR3A crank...

F8vR1kM.jpg

This crank is quite different though I do not know if it is for a TR2 or TR3 or both...

NpvdyYW.jpg

Your best bet may be to get some measurements from a TR2 owner who is sure they have the right crank though you can get approximate info by measuring the distance from the crank guide to the dog bolt.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Art, I have been watching that Ebay "clone" add for many years. I am pleased to see it is actually a really well done repro. I think even an OCD Triumph guy would have to do a few takes to tell it's off.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ebay is probably the best to watch.. Lately there were 2 early hand cranks but are sold now. You got to act fast. I recently won one for my 3A after 2 years trying to be at the right place at the right time. My 3A looks like the ones above my post. The early ones have the boss "the raised part" closer to the crank.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Of course, the problem with eBay is that so many sellers don't actually know (or pretend not to know) what cars their product actually fits. I see stuff all the time advertised for the wrong car, or an impossible range of cars. So be sure that you can identify the part you need from the photo.

Also check that the rotating sleeve is present on the handle. They sometimes come off and get lost.

PS, my favorite is still the seller who was offering brake rotors to fit "TR2-TR4". Of course, TR2 never came with disc brakes; but the seller assured me they would fit.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, can't say that I have done it. But I know how, and there is a lot more involved than just bolting on some rotors.

I've got a friend with a Ford 302 engine in his TR4, so I guess you could say that a V8 intake manifold fits a TR4 too.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I bolted the front guide/support for the starting handle to frame to check the fit. It seems the front cowl must provide a lot of support to guide. Without the cowl on I would not like to put too much force on the handle as the guide moves a lot. Am I missing something?
In 1968 my old TR2 had a fiberglass TR3 cowl on it and I remember the guide was always a bit flimsy.

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope, I don't think you're missing anything. The supports basically just complete triangles with the sheet metal of the front apron. Without the apron, the rods bend easily.