• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Caliper “dog bone” shims

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
2C28FB8F-C583-4B84-9A09-9B03E24A6F16.jpgHello, all, I’m returning the front disc calipers to the car, after having them rebuilt.

When I first pulled them off, I didn’t notice there were 2 pairs of 4 1/2 inch “dog bone” -shaped shims on each wheel. I guess the accumulated grease held them to the caliper bracket; I noticed them on the ground after pulling off each caliper.

Looking at the Haynes TR 2 3 4 manual, there is no mention of them in the 11.10 diagram.
I figure they go on either side of the caliper, between the dust shield and the caliper bracket.

How necessary are these? It is a PITA to keep everything aligned as above; so far I haven’t been able to keep all the pieces together to assemble. Right now I loosely have the caliper back on without the shims. The disc/ rotor spins freely, no brake pads in yet.

What I really can’t figure out is that this is my second time addressing the calipers; the first was back in 2005, and I have no memory of dealing with these little buggers.

So, leave them off, or figure a way of aligning all the parts? Thx.

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I believe you use them to mount the caliper so the disc is centered in the caliper opening -- in other words 'as needed'. I had some shims but also made a couple more the last time I did this.

...so far I haven’t been able to keep all the pieces together to assemble.

I tied the shims in place using dental floss. Strong stuff but very thin and so slippery that once everything is bolted up the floss can be cut and pulled out.

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I tied the shims in place using dental floss. Strong stuff but very thin and so slippery that once everything is bolted up the floss can be cut and pulled out.

Geo, that is brilliant! Thx for making my night!

OP
mrv8q

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Following up on Geo’s brilliant suggestion. His idea worked just great; what was a fiddly PITA, turned into an uneventful 2 minute mechanical presentation to the car, as Haynes says.

Each of my “dog bone” shims were a pair. I did wind up taping each of the pair of shims together, which I think helped in the final assembly. My wife is the floss assembler, and within a minute, the caliper is mounted to the car.

Geo, again my thanks!