• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Light Aircraft Instrument Panel

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
New panels available for light aircraft are amazing. This panel is in a home built, not cheap, but well worth the money. Beautifully done. Naturally the old backups are still a necessity, kinda surprised they still put the old RC in the panel, but saying that, if you know how to use it, it can get you home when other things fail. PJ

View attachment 52821

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That fancy digital flat screen shore is pretty! (But I'd think all that info in such a small space, with small letters and numbers, could be frustrating.)

Steam gauges rule!

Tom M.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Their easier to read that one might think Tom, the photo does not due it justice. The readouts are crystal clear. :encouragement:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Glass cockpit". I still prefer analog instruments. The old feart in me, I guess.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
"Glass cockpit". I still prefer analog instruments. The old feart in me, I guess.

I know what your saying Doc, even though their very high tech, would be hard for me to get really comfortable with also. I'm from the old needle/ball/airspeed gang, which is still taught extensively, but for how long is questionable, the old style instruments are still used as a backup, they work when everything else fails. Funny how the oldest flight instrument from beyond the Wright Bros. days is still used in aircraft today, the magnetic compass. :encouragement: PJ

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Digital gauges make it hard to “tap” on the glass to unstick a needle.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
True story. 80-plus year old guy down here in Florida put a new panel in his Vans homebuilt plane. Taxiing down the runway, he became so intent in checking it out that he ran off the runway, cracked up his plane and had it totalled. All this new stuff including something called ADS-B is expensive and requires study and one reason I gave up flying.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - a friend of mine (retired AA pilot) said his buddy got a new ASEL "glass cockpit". They went up for a ride at Danbury CT. The new owner was happily pointing out all the features on that flat panel - and paid no attention to the hills rising straight ahead. My friend had to grab the yoke and make a 180.

yeesh

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- I’ve landed a plane at Danbury; it’s quite unsettling going through those mountains. It feels like your wingtips are going to make contact.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - a friend of mine (retired AA pilot) said his buddy got a new ASEL "glass cockpit". They went up for a ride at Danbury CT. The new owner was happily pointing out all the features on that flat panel - and paid no attention to the hills rising straight ahead. My friend had to grab the yoke and make a 180.

yeesh

Unattended common sense will surely over ride the best of equipment.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My AA pilot friend says pretty soon there will be only two living creatures in a commercial plane's cockpit. One human, and one chimpanzee.

Human's job is to feed bananas to the chimp. Chimp's job is to keep human from touching the controls.

:banana:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I did not see the high tech piece of string. Most gliders have a piece of string/cotton taped to the windshield as a slip skid tel tail.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I did not see the high tech piece of string. Most gliders have a piece of string/cotton taped to the windshield as a slip skid tel tail.

David
A Yaw String... good point David.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It looks like a video game.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
No Yaw string on powered ac since 1930! The panel shown is in a powered ac. Only reason the yaw string is still on modern gliders is because it weighs less than an in panel instrument that does the same thing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Cirrus has been doing it for years they are easier to read
the garmin displays are really nice you can pop up information as need ed in a less compress format if need be
Info magegment is easier with no dead areas so more info than a round gage in half the space