• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Magnetic Gearbox Drain Plug

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all
I am just about to replace the oil in the gearbox and overdrive and thought it a good idea to fit a magnetic drain plug. These are available for "Classic" Land Rovers to replace the non magnetic type part 608246 and I wondered if anyone knows whether it is the same thread as required for a Healey. I am aware that the Healey drain plug is comparable with many other classics so there is a a chance that it would fit. - Anybody know for sure?

(For info, I did fit a Land Rover rear axle breather which was good value for a sturdy brass item.)

cheers Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Re: Magnetic Gear box drain plug

Steve,

The transmission and O/D drain plugs are magnetic. The reason for specifying NoN-detergent oil as the preferred lubricant is to allow any metal debris to fall out of oil suspension and be drawn to the and held by the drain plug until the oil is changed and the particles are eliminated. Again, detergent oil is designed to keep the debris in suspension to be extracted by a filter. Without a filter, particles suspended in detergent oil will continue to circulate and be passed through every lubricated component to pose a risk to those units.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Sounds like a good idea Steve, let us know if a Healey part match is found--Cheers

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful

Ray
Are you saying that the standard plug is magnetic?
I am using Millers EP80/90 GL4 classic gear oil which war recommended by a top UK restorer.
Steve

RAC68

Darth Vader

Hi Steve,

Yes, the original plugs were magnetic and, if all is original, you should be in good stead.

The specified oil for the transmission/OD was 30W non-detergent motor oil and the equivalent gear oil viscosity is 85W (the center of the Millers range of 80-90).

Since many have had success with oils for this application other then that specified by Healey, I would go with what ever I feel most comfortable with. I personally us Red Line MTL which is a synthetic but warn that if there is a way, it will find it to drip. Prior to the Red Line, I used 30W non-detergent motor oil (as specified) for about 45 of the 54 years I've owned and driven the Healey and the transmission and OD still function perfectly and are as originally delivered from the factory.,

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

OK Michael,I was wondering how the brass plug on the overdrive could be magnetic , good show.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Keoke

The brass plug actually hides a type of rare earth magnet, there are two or three of them fitted together, and look very much like washers but flexible and magnetic.

I bought a magnetic sump plug years ago with a plan to fit it to my DW alley sump when I reconditioned the engine and for the life of me I can not find the darn thing now to fit it, so, I now use a rare earth magnet out of a Microwave machine on the end of my screw on oil filter, and periodically search for that sump plug.:excitement:

:cheers:

Bob

RAC68

Darth Vader

Thanks Bob,

I knew there were magnets between the brass cap and screen but could not find proper documentation and was beginning to think I had added them quite a while ago and just forgot.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Check out neoymium rare earth magnets at totalelement.com. They are very small and incredibly strong and some come with countersunk holes. I have epoxied them to drain plugs (engine oil, transmission, differential) of most of my cars.

Last edited:

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

An assortment of neodymium rare earth magnets are available at Home Depot and I purchased some for the differential. With new crown and pinion installed, I plan to JB weld one of the "washer-style" magnets to the diff's drain plug to catch any small shards / filings from initial break-in. The transmission already features stacked flat magnets on the inside of the OD drain plug for the same purpose. Gonzo.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Gonzo--

The ones sold by Total Element are nickle-plated so that they will not corrode.

I was amazed at how strong the magnetic force is and it is difficult to separate two of them by hand.

I recently used them to "lock" my side curtains in against the windshield stantion as when driving at speed the positive pressure within the cockpit tends to push the curtains out. I riveted one of the rectangular magnets to the top inside corner of the curtain and fixed another rectangular one to the hardtop bracket. The attractive force is strong enough that when I close the door the curtain snaps in against the bracket and no longer blows out at speed. Opening the door overcomes the magnetic force.

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
All very interesting. In between time I discovered that I have one of these magnets (11mm diameter) that I could JB Weld to the top of a plug. I will still check out the Land Rover option.
Just to clarify, does the thin ring "plastic" magnet in the brass overdrive plug sit on the brass plug under the filter basket or inside the filter basket?

Thanks Michael for sharing the side curtain modification. It got me to thinking what else these high force magnets could be used for
cheers
Steve

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good point. Magcraft is the HD source and the ones I would be using are nickle plated. The ring of stacked magnets nestle in the shallow recess of the brass plug and the filter basket sits on top of the plug. This whole assembly is then screwed into the OD. See Moss parts catalog for "magnet" details. GONZO

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Steve,

When looking through my OD Manual/Documentation for the Type A OD, I realized it addresses a unit that was installed in a number of British cars ... especially Triumph models (TR2-TR6). As such, the magnetic OD disks were not included as a standard install by all manufacturers as in our Healeys. Also, lubrication for the unit have also varied from manufacturer to manufacturer with Healey recommending 30W Non-detergent motor oil and triumph specifying 85 gear oil for most models and even automatic transmission fluid on the later TR models. Since the OD seems to be able to perform over a variety of types of lubricants, it could be that this variation is possibly based upon the needs of the transmission and could be keyed to the metals incorporated in its construction.

One thing the document warns against is the use of high pressure gear oil and indicates that the centrifugal forces applied by the OD could separate the additives from the this oil and result in the formation of slug. Since this is not what you have chosen to use, I would expect you will not have any problems.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm intrigued by the use of rare earth magnets. The flexible, rubbery magnets sold for use in the OD plug are very weak--at least the one's I've bought are--but I'm not (yet) comfortable with the idea of gluing powerful rare earth magnets to drain plugs. One of those gets loose and your day is ruined. A gearbox and OD shouldn't be producing a lot of ferromagnetic particles anyway (unless you're a real gear grinder). The diff, however, could certainly use one, as could the oil pan plug.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve

Now you are testing the brain box a bit, From memory they sit on the brass plug, must do as I took them out to clean the crud of them and I did not disturb the filter.

and they were the devil to split apart - thought it was one unit at first.

:cheers:

Bob

RAC68

Darth Vader
Bob/Bob,

I also share your thoughts about not having a great deal of iron particulate after initial unit break-in unless produced by a real gear jammer. Although I am in favor of having magnets in place to capture even small amounts of particulate from continuing to circulate with the oil and sustain the risk of causing damage. However, I do not favor gluing the magnets to components (i.e. drain plug, etc.) as vibration and chemical effects could cause the bonding to fail and loose the magnet within the mechanism to impede the units operation to cause a major failure. Although possibly more expensive then gluing, I would favor acquiring a machined magnetic drain plug for the transmission. But, since the magnets within the OD is placed in a protected position, replicating/replacing the original magnets with those suggested by others and found to be impervious to the fluids used, does not seem to add risk if installed as the original.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you are uncomfortable with epoxying a magnet to a drain plug get the ones that are drilled/countersunk and attach it mechanically as well.