• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Steering Hub Turn Indicator lever

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had a strange thing happen to my 57 TR-3 on the way to a car show yesterday. When I left home, the turn lever and dash light were working perfectly. As I drove , and used my turn signals, the lever started slowing turning clockwise every time I used it. By the time I got to the show, the lever was at the bottom of the hub? Turn lights and dash light were still working, but now at the bottom of the steering wheel?

I loosen the three set screws on the back of the hub and was able to pull the wheel out about 3". I could now turn the aluminum wheel completely around with my finger but the front ring with the lever stayed in the down position no matter what I did. Is there a way to unlock the lever section so I can return it to the top again?

Dick Vinal

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Loosen the compression nut on the front of the steering box.
You'll also want to have the plate turned the right way, or the turn signals won't cancel.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I assume that after I loosen the compression nut, I will be able to turn the lever section back to the top. Then I re tighten the compression nut? Question: What could have caused the lever section to move in the first place?

Thanks, Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's right, reset it and tighten the nut. Usually what happens (IMO) is that the self-canceling mechanism binds and puts extra force on the stator tube. In your case, the tube slipped in the compression nut; but often it breaks the tube right at the base of the slot (under the control head).

Wouldn't hurt to disassemble, clean and lube the head either. Mine seems to need it every 5-10 years or so.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randall,
Appreciate your usual input. Question: Behind the front piece, with the lever, there is a metal collar that I can turn with my finger. It has a slotted section in it. Before I tighten the compression nut, should the slotted portion of this collar be in a particular location? Maybe up or down??

Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes. Put the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position (where the car will drive straight), then turn the plate until the slotted fingers are at the bottom (6 o'clock position). Slide the control head into place (seating the plate into the steering wheel), then tighten the 3 grub screws without moving the wheel or head.

This is outlined in the workshop manual, page G16 under "To Fit Control Head and Stator Tube".

FWIW, I recently found a method for drastically shrinking my PDF files. The TR2-3 factory workshop manual went from 200Mb to under 20Mb! So you might want to download a new copy from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWZiN2VlZGMtNTkxMi00NGUzLWE4NzMtMGRkODRkYzU3MDU1
As always, let me know if you find a problem.

PS, not to worry; my doc says I should avoid all forms of alcohol and I never was all that fond of beer anyway. :smile:

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Works!! Only problem now is I dropped one of the rear turn lite lenses, wonder if Super Glue will put it back together? Only have 8 pieces!