• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Gauge Question

SimsBJ8

Country flag
Fuel Gauge Question
Hopefully a simple question and answer, but I am totally bewildered. I have recently brought back to life my BJ8 after 25 years of sitting in the garage. One strange thing is that the Smiths fuel gauge fogs up shortly after I start the engine. It is clear when sitting, and clears up after turning the engine off. The gauge also is working and showing a representative level of fuel. The car has been in the garage for 25 years, so it should not have any water in it. I have not run the engine for more than 10 minutes straight or had it on the road for more than 4-5 miles so I do not know if it clears up after time.
Before I take the gauge out, open it up, and let it air dry, does anyone have a suggestion on what it may be?
Thanks in advance.
Bob

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
First, many of the fuel gauges do this. Second, it will clear up after the car runs for a while and be clear for the rest of the day. It will likely fog up again when you restart it after sitting for a day or two.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not sure why it happens, but it is a common thing. My BJ8 does it sometimes, not always and has for the 36 years I've owned it. I once broke it by opening it up to try to clean the glass and dry it out and had to send it off for repair. It fogged up afterwards, same as always.
My best guess is that it has something to do with heating of the two coils inside the case and the ambient dew point but I don't know for sure.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not sure why it happens, but it is a common thing. My BJ8 does it sometimes, not always and has for the 36 years I've owned it. I once broke it by opening it up to try to clean the glass and dry it out and had to send it off for repair. It fogged up afterwards, same as always.
My best guess is that it has something to do with heating of the two coils inside the case and the ambient dew point but I don't know for sure.

I believe they all fog like this. Mine certainly does. It's not a problem, it's a charming idiosyncracy.

The heating coil thing makes perfect sense.

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Sorry pressed the wrong key. I mean't to add that I bought a new one 3 months ago and was thinking of taking it out and sending it back. They're not easy to remove!
AJ

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tom,
You should take the 5 at a time in an old Mercedes. Think of the fun you'd have!

If you're really going to do this (in the truck, I mean), I hope you're planning to stop in Utah!

Keith