• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 European specks on a 1970 TR6 engine

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Picking up a parts car on saturday for my 69 TR6 project. Found a 1970 TR6 but came from Europe. Not to many salvageable body parts but has A type overdrive. Was hoping for PI but lucked out there. Anyway my question is is there any way to determine if this is a Euro speck engine. Hotter cam, higher rocker ratio and higher compression?

Thinking if I can use the cam and higher compression head and rockers to get a cheap upgrade in engine performance. Oh ya speedo is in kilometers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
IIRC, the early PI engines had a CP prefix on the serial number, instead of CC for carb models.

Rockers are the same. But if the PI has been replaced with carbs, I wonder if they might have swapped head & cam too?

Last edited:

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As Randall said, look at the engine number. If it is from the "CC" series then it is an early carb engine while a "CP" would be an early PI engine. Also take a look at the valve springs as quick and dirty but not entirely accurate indicator. The "CC" engines used a single spring while most of the "CP" engines used dual springs. Some of the late "CP" series used a different rate single spring than the "CC" engines but as near as I can tell those were limited to some of the 1972 model year cars. The other variable on that is that someone may have fitted their "CC" engine with dual springs. I have dual springs on a "CC" engine that have the spring rates and subsequent seat pressure matched to the camshaft I am using.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The guy I bought it from purchased it from the original owner who drove it in Europe and when he moved back to the US he had it shipped here. Unfortunately the paper work was tremendous and never did anything with it but put it in a dirt floor barn for decades. This guy did all the foot work and got a title then discovered it was too far go for him to redo. That's where I come in.

I'll start busting it apart Saturday and let you know what I find. My 69 motor seems fine and it does turn however I couldn't get it to start. No spark and discovered that there was an electric fuel pump mounted under the car. No way to know why it was installed and would have been prier to 1982. Maybe the cam lob is worn. My 69 has 50+k on it while the 70 only 25k. I'll check internals for wear and use whatever is best however I still want to use the original engine. If I'm not mistaken the cranks are different in a 69 and 70?

I need wheels for mime and someone recently sandblasted the wheels, painted them and put new tires on them. Not redlines but that's a good savings for me. My 69 has a couple of wheels that have the studs for the Rostyle hub caps and for the price of those I not getting into.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think only the Tr250 and 69 TR6 had the different cranks. My 70 is the same as the later engines.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's what I meant about the cranks Randy. Car is here safely. What a rats nest! Sucked more foam, raise-nets, skeletons and a few good surprises too. Like a box of Cracker Jacks. I'm not believing this story about a Euro car. Speedo looks like MPH not kilometers . Engine # is CC and single valve springs. Although there is a E at the end of the engine number. Don't know what that means. Had to throw away the air cleaner housing. Full of mice junk and rotted away from holding the moisture. Carbs were full too.

Whats amazing is someone started on this car as a project. Did the wheels, put clean anti freeze in the engine. There is no driver side or trunk floor. Every fender has rot through some wear. The battery box is rotted through the fire wall along with other places. I guess anything can be fix but what were they thinking.

Got the carbs off, radiator and front bumper came off in a snap. How do you get the rear bumper off? Every bolt just spins and there doesn't seem to be a nut behind the brackets. Don't know how you would even get a wrench in there if there was.

Anyway here is some pics.

Attachments

• 1970TR6vin.jpg
    1970TR6vin.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 1970TR6speedo.jpg
    1970TR6speedo.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1970TR61.jpg
    1970TR61.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 1970TR63.jpg