• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

weird things painted by hand with a brush

Healeyjoe

Freshman Member
I have a BJ8 built in may 66 canadian car with the tow eyes..., I have a few places that the cars components are painted with a brush the same color as the body,like shock towers, underneath the dashboard, inside trunk, even where the door hinges are..... I knew the last 2 owners that had this car since the early seventies... they were not the fancy detailing weekend kind of guys, I am starting to believe that it was made this way...maybe the compressor at the factory broke down and the guys took out the brushes to finish painting a few things?, My car has not been restored, nor involved in any accidents...In about a week my car will be repainted, and I am wondering if I should keep the weird brush painted areas or keep it that way, if it was made that way....can someone help me out, i've checked many places...but no clues.. thanks to all...

Last edited:

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Even if cars did manage to exit the factory with brush painted parts they were in the minority and I'd venture a guess nobody kept records of that (if they did borrow a brush or two from the building maintenance guy). Since nobody else has chimed in I'd say do what you wish. I can't see that it would help you in a judged event if you had brush marks. You might have a hard time convincing someone it was done at the factory. But what do I know...except that you need to be happy with your work or what you pay for. You can always add brushed on paint later:winner1:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wait-Wait!;

The red shroud over the fan on the radiator was brush painted.

. Howeve:

You can cheat like I did ,mask it off spray it then use brush to add brush marks.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Speaking of areas hand-painted at the factory, I found these original painted areas on the interior of the floor. I assume they painted the area so that the white color of the body would not show up where the red carpet met the edge of the body.

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 126
OP
H

Healeyjoe

Freshman Member
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice and knowledge, I will take some brush marks away while the car is in the body shop, It Will be a prettier car and Will make me happier.. even if it might be factory done ✌️.

Kaybee

I was also told (by an Austin-Healey restorer of some 36 years) that the fan guard was brush painted at one of the stations on the build line. I've never seen one that looked that way, but I wonder what the Concours guys at places like Pebble Beach are looking for?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What I understand to have been hand painted are the fan-guard, the interior edging in the interior that Rob pointed out (You can see hand painting around parts of the doors, and floors where the carpeting or vinyl trim don't cover and would leave the body color exposed) and the bottom lip of the rear shroud that was painted flat black. As to HealeyJoe's question, they probably did just about anything to get a car out the door. Donald always told the stories of engine paint running out on the line and some white or black being added to stretch it.