• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bearings

Bantamfan

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear axle of my 1967 midget.
I have a new crown and pinion and am now looking for the bearings.
Will I have to use the typical suppliers or are there bearing suppliers out
there that could either match the bearings or cross reference the numbers
off the old ones.. I just thought maybe they would be cheaper than the usual suspects.

nomad

Yoda
If you shop your local yellow pages [Canada have them?] for bearing suppliers you should still be able to find one. When you do just take what you need into them or give them numbers and they should be able to come up with them.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you shop your local yellow pages [Canada have them?] for bearing suppliers you should still be able to find one. When you do just take what you need into them or give them numbers and they should be able to come up with them.

Kurt.

Yellow Pages - yes we did, <snork> then we got the interwebnet.

Seriously, wait till Gerard gets here not all bearings are equal in this regard.

yellow pages.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
And there is the choice of a modern sealed bearing alternative. A Timken 207FF which fits a Subaru. They fit perfectly into Bugsy and others on this Forum have used as well. This is a Sealed Bearing and as such adds an additional gear Oil Barrier for the Rear Brake Shoes. Now I will be taking my LR Hub apart tomorrow to find the source of an unknown brake noise that goes thump, thump, thunk. I'll report back tomorrow if it was Wheel Bearing related.

nomad

Yoda
Yeah, JP, my yellow pages are sorta aging into a orange but i still use them!:grin: I think Bantamfan is looking for the differential carrier and pinion bearings. I imagine those are getting pretty pricey with whats happened to our money of a few decades.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, JP, my yellow pages are sorta aging into a orange but i still use them!:grin:

Well and of course you are in South Dakota so it makes sense. :devilgrin:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've purchased these (diff bearings) from a local bearing house, Timken, if I remember correctly. I recommend you do the same. Normally, they are able to cross reference numbers from the original bearings.

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear axle of my 1967 midget.
I have a new crown and pinion and am now looking for the bearings.
Will I have to use the typical suppliers or are there bearing suppliers out
there that could either match the bearings or cross reference the numbers
off the old ones.. I just thought maybe they would be cheaper than the usual suspects.

Country flag
They may not be cheaper, but to Gerard's point you will know exactly which brand/quality of bearing you are buying when you buy from a local bearing supplier.

nomad

Yoda
Well and of course you are in South Dakota so it makes sense. :devilgrin:

OK, JP, we did finally get lectricity out here but our roads are still wagon paths. Just ask the guys that came through here on the way to Midget 50!:rolleyes2: Some of us [not all] even have the web!

Kurt

nomad

Yoda
:lol:

A fellow I grew up with had the last name of Webb.....you know what we gave him as a nick-name!

Kurt

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
my local parts store doesn’t have the pimple face boy saying I can check with the warehouse or is surprised when he finds out a 240Z is not a Camaro .

no I have a couple of older farts like me that don’t need to look for every to find a alternator for a 70 ‘s chevy or what have you
oh and they stock parts and if they don’t have it they get on the phone and check around town rarely do I not get what I need then and there and if not in 1 maybe two days.
South Dakota we may not have as may choices but I find that most of the time I don’t mind.
check with your local parts store

oh! Hey if your passing thru Sioux falls
you have to stop at Dakota Digital
this guys are going amazing things with instrumentation
they will give your a tour of there plant and there R&D area
sorry no bearings but some really cool instrumentation options

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
my local parts store doesn’t have the pimple face boy saying I can check with the warehouse or is surprised when he finds out a 240Z is not a Camaro .

no I have a couple of older farts like me that don’t need to look for every to find a alternator for a 70 ‘s chevy or what have you
oh and they stock parts and if they don’t have it they get on the phone and check around town rarely do I not get what I need then and there and if not in 1 maybe two days.
South Dakota we may not have as may choices but I find that most of the time I don’t mind.
check with your local parts store

Can't remember if I posted this but was at my mechanic the other week and they needed a part for an early 90's Camaro - he calls the parts supplier and asks for theor older employee. :grin:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The Timken numbers seem to be a defacto standard. My TR4A diff had original Timken bearings, so I copied the numbers, got on the internet, and found new bearings from several manufacturers listed under the same part nos. I ended up buying new Timkens on line, at half the price of the bearings from the usual suppliers. Most of the latter did not even list the manufacturer of the bearings they were selling! I hate to imagine what I could have ended up with.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yellow Pages and Sears Catalogues: we shure were worried when the Sears Catylog (and the Eaton's afore thet) dun go discontinuyed, specially after thet their indoor plumming shewed up. But, dang it all! Terns out we can get them thar rolls of softy papery stuff now. Dunno if they'd work for keeping the wheels turnin', but they is round. J-P you foks in T'rawna - you got this stuff tew? Doug. Calgary.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
J-P you foks in T'rawna - you got this stuff tew? Doug. Calgary.

Dude - check the flag - Maple Leaves! (not Juniper - don't ask me how I know)