• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dell Desktop

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I could never figure out why this desktop, my Linux machine, had such a poor WiFi connection, since the rest of our computers fly on the internet until a few days ago. Would you believe Dell never installed a WiFi card in it! Didn't know that until I was looking at the maintenance manual and saw this vacant socket on the motherboard, checked it out and found it was for a WiFi card. Ordered one from Dell, installed it this morning and this thing now really moves! Beats me why Dell wouldn't state that the card was an option when new, in this day and age! Oh well, a spare tire in some new cars is an option now also, so what else is new. :disgust: PJ

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Well now you must be in internet heaven.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
When you say poor connection that makes me think you were getting stuff, just slowly. How is that possible?

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When you say poor connection that makes me think you were getting stuff, just slowly. How is that possible?

I had a NETIS stick antenna plugged into a USB port with NETIS software. Worked and got the rig on line but wasn't a strong setup, actually very weak. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well now you must be in internet heaven.

Thanks Judy, Finally it is acting like it should, almost as fast as my HP laptop, finally it's a happy machine, me too! :encouragement:

D

Deleted member 8987

I have a Dell with no video card, but has an audio card. Used the motherboard video.
I have another Dell that has a stomping video card, but no audio card..uses the motherboard audio.

I ordered one once with the "Businessman's Special", XP installed with a disc for Vista. Came with Vista and no disc. Fixed that right away.

Had another supposed to have 500GB hard drive, had 200GB.

Had them come in with half the RAM ports empty.

Stupid.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Most of the computers I've owned have been HPs and can truly say they were all good machines. I also have a Toshiba, ( Excellent service) and two Dells. The wifes Dell laptop has never given any problems. I'm not complaining about anything on this desktop, other than why it didn't come with a WiFi card installed. Update, I didn't know this but found out this machine can be ordered form Dell in a fully customized version, supposedly mine is one of these. You order it how you want it, with all the bells and whistles or nothing. It is the easiest machine to work on I've ever seen. No tools are needed to open it up, pull the hard drive, pull the CD player etc, they all snap in place. Good question is, why wasn't I told this in the beginning? PJ