• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy out and about - 77 degrees in Dayton today

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy got to get his hardtop off and place aboard a Hardtop Cart I purchased. Man does that ever make it slick to store and manage a hardtop. Found it on line for < $90 including shipping.

Anyway I am getting a thunk, thunk, thunk as I slow down from sound like Left Rear, Varies with speed getting slower the slower I brake. Rear U Joint going Bad? Rear End would whine but not make the thunk, thunk, thunk sound.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am envious! though lovely but rainy here as well.

Simple things first.

1. check muffler

2. get under the rear and tighten all you see.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely a rotating sound from LR Wheel. I can feel it thunking as I slow down in the driveline. Now I had rear end totally apart and swapped pumpkin to a 3.9 and replaced Rear Wheel Bearings with Sealed Units. Possible I didn't get the big nut tight enough but I find that one hard to believe. Both Axles were out, possible bent axle? Or wrong side got swapped in. Discovered I had EN17 Axles in there already so I do not think I used any of the 3 spares I have. Noise is also heard on LH high speed turns as a rotating Noise. Thought at first I was hitting tire on fender. Ned to check Lug Nuts as well. Maybe they worked loose for some reason. Teething issues. Bugsy is about to go in for his engine and tranny swap shortly. I'll have my local LBC Shop take a look while driveline is out for a swap. Yes 4-5 miles a way, MG Automotive. sole business in LBC's. Yes they still exist. My go to when I can't figure it out myself.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Jim -

Quick thought about the thumping...I had a wheel stud that would knick the wheel cylinder. Just a thought. We are looking at almost 90 tomorrow. No rain in sight.

Oh, and tell Steve @ MG Automotive that the 1275 he built for me over 12 years ago is still running great!!! It is the one in my '59 Bugeye temporarily residing here in SWFL until mid-April.

Country flag
I cleaned off my Bugeye. Finally swapped out that master cylinder and went for a drive. 80 degrees here. I've been driving my Midget, but the bugeye is not too polite in the cold with summer tires.

BTW, I'm slowly getting used to Gerard's short throw shifter. I keep missing third because the new shift boot want to press the shifter more towards 5th. Once the boot loosens up I think it will be fine.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
It was almost that warm in Maryland. When I went to start B.B., the battery had died. :frown-new:

I didn't want to risk rolling it out onto the driveway, which is on an incline, and see if I could push start or jump start it, because if it didn't start, there's no way I could get it back in the garage.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So drove for another short drive this evening and noise is definitely coming from LR Hub. Can feel it on acceleration and deceleration as well as when sideways forces are action upon the tire. Time to put it up on jackstands and look at the wheel while it rotates to see if I can detect a wobble. Something definitely amiss and it was getting worse the more I drove it. Not a u-Joint something in the Hub / axle / bearing. Now to find time to get it checked out.

Country flag
Original style bugeye drum or later midget drum?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmmm, whatever was on the car. Could well be a wheel stud has worked loose. I'll get it apart and see. Didn't know there was a difference in brake drums between a BE and Later Spridget. Well crap and I gave away a few spare drums last weekend paying it forward to a guy trying to restores a BE on a shoestring with hand me down parts and pieces. He got a complete set of new drum Master, wheels cylinders, and brake shoes. S\The brakes were brand new on Bugsy IV when I bought him and had never seen fluid, After seeing what drum brakes were like for 3 weeks I swapped over to disc brakes.

John Kuzman, heading down to friend of Kate's in Winterhaven on the 28th and in Tampa Saturday and Sunday seeing family. Coming home Monday Night late to Columbus. Kate is going to stay at least 2 weeks so
I can get some garage time to finish up painting my engine, installing a rear seal kit, and then dropping off Bugsy and 5 speed at MG Automotive for a new powertrain. Yes I can do it myself but I've got a house I'm trying to get ready to sell and that takes precedence. I'll be looking for your guidance on a reasonable painter in FL.

Coming soon: 1,326 Courtesy of Mickey Pleasant, Mild Porting and Street Cam, 5 Speed that has been rebuilt, Gerard's Short Shift Kit. Gear Reduction Starter, Alternator, new Wiring Harness, LCB Header, Aluminum Radiator, 10" Electric Fan, Revotec In-Line Fan Controller. Lots of goodies I've accumulated over the past few years. Going to be sweet.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Noodled in this problem as I went to sleep. Diagnosis came at 3:45 am, without looking just listening and thinking about noise and vibration, i’m betting the circlip holding wheel cylinder to backing plate has popped off. Don’t see why that happened as I used one of the circlip installation tools. If that did happen will need new wheel cylinder more than likely. Stay tuned, can’t get to it until Sunday.

Country flag
The drums are not different between years, I meant to ask about the style of brake. However, I'm guessing it is the later style and you may be correct about the e-clip.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Later style Backing Plates and 3/4"Wheel Cylinders. Hard to believe one of those "bastard clips" would fall off. I used the Winners Circle Circlip Install Tool and it does work slick on these Circlips.

Country flag
If they get over stretched or do not seat completely they can come loose. I've gone back to the external circlip and wavy washer.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ordered a new wheel cylinder and circlip tonight. Haven’t even looked underneath yet but if wheel cylinder has come lose and banging off the backsides of wheel studs I won’t trust it. I’ll finally get to look at it on Sunday.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sometimes it's just the rubber dust seal that rubs. Some of the reproductions can be made too fat or possibly just not seated right. It's usually the back side of the stud that hits.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard,
Based on the noise i’m Hearing thunk,thunk,thunk as I slow down and high speed 35 To 40 mph left turns where it did a fast thunk,thunk,thunk I’ve got to believe wheel cylinder is hitting back of wheel studs. Or I have loose bolt that attach hub to axle. I will know later this weekend. I had Kate in car last night and noise was not u joint. She heard noise from DS of car and I could feel vibration and rubbing from LR of the car. I’lol provide a complete report.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Check that you don't have too much end-play on the hub/bearing. If it gets worse when you turn in one direction, that makes me think there is too much movement in the hub.

Gerard,
Based on the noise i’m Hearing thunk,thunk,thunk as I slow down and high speed 35 To 40 mph left turns where it did a fast thunk,thunk,thunk I’ve got to believe wheel cylinder is hitting back of wheel studs. Or I have loose bolt that attach hub to axle. I will know later this weekend. I had Kate in car last night and noise was not u joint. She heard noise from DS of car and I could feel vibration and rubbing from LR of the car. I’lol provide a complete report.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I am using sealed bearings on Bugsy. How do I check end float / gaps on axle

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would pull the drums off and see if you can getting any movement in or out. I've never installed the sealed bearing, so I don't know how closely they match the thickness of the originals.

I am using sealed bearings on Bugsy. How do I check end float / gaps on axle

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, will let everyone know on Sunday what I find.