• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Presidents Day

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
What's your earliest memory of seeing a US president?

Mine - in 1950, when Eisenhower stopped in Fort Worth while on a visit to Texas. My dad held me (age 1) up in the air to see Ike in the crowd. I unfortunately did not recognize the importance of the event, and, scared of being held up in the air, I peed on my dad's head. Maybe I was disappointed that Ike wasn't president yet?

Carter_Eisenhower_Richardson-Photo.jpg

Ike, Amon Carter (newspaper magnate), and Sid Richardson (oil magnate), Hotel Texas, 1950.

So - what's your earliest memory of seeing a President (or Prime Minister) ?

Country flag
Guess this counts, the movement of Kennedy's body from the White House to the Capitol to lie in state. I was just turned 5 but I recall clearly the horses and caisson as they moved down the avenue.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I didn't see one in person until George W. Bush's motorcade drove south through the Napa Valley. We couldn't leave the winery until they passed. Couldn't tell which black SUV he was in, though, so it probably doesn't count.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Same thing with George W Bush,while at the graduation at the
US Naval Academy in 2006.Helicopters,limos,& more Black Suburbans than
I've ever seen in one place.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
President Clinton spoke at Yale when I was a student there. I worked for the AV department and I was on the team that got to record the speech. No matter what you think of his politics or personal behavior, that man can speak. He spoke for about 1.5 hours, no notes, and it was an excellent speech (though long enough ago that I can't remember the topic). Never brief, but a skilled orator.

jdroadster

Freshman Member
I've seen a couple of motorcades but really had no idea where the presidents were. The only president I actually saw was Obama about two years before he got elected. He was only a few yards away at an outdoor event. I remember thinking that he looked well dressed and had presence.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've never seen a President in person. Not to derail the post but the Amon Carter art museum in Ft. Worth is a pretty good place to visit.

Country flag
President Clinton spoke at Yale when I was a student there. I worked for the AV department and I was on the team that got to record the speech. No matter what you think of his politics or personal behavior, that man can speak. He spoke for about 1.5 hours, no notes, and it was an excellent speech (though long enough ago that I can't remember the topic). Never brief, but a skilled orator.

One of my brothers when he was working on his doctorate was given tickets to see Clinton who was making a campus appearance. Said afterwards that a number of department members asked why he'd want to see a "redacted.." like him. His reply was no matter why it is, how often do any of us get to be one of less than 100 to spend time with a then sitting president. True, most of us get no time during our lives around one of those occupying the seats of power.

I also saw then VP George HW Bush when I finished college. I attended Miami University in Ohio and he was the scheduled speaker. Was an interesting event I'll always remember. To start, he was 4 hours late arriving. Due to security, we and parents/guests had to sit and wait, there was no getting up and moving around. When he finally arrived it became apparent he didn't know where exactly he was. He made mention of there being fewer palm trees at the University of Miami than he'd expected. Didn't go over well since southern Ohio isn't known for palm trees where southern Florida has it's share. He spoke for 5 minutes and was out the door. He seems to be a decent person, but that wasn't one of his high points..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Saw Kennedy as his drop-top Lincoln passed our home when he was running for the office. So not President yet.

Went TDY to Andrews AFB to photograph Nixon's return from China. ALL those pix went to DoD.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw Nixon at a Yankees game when I lived in NY.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Only one and that was getting an autograph from Jimmy Carter at his library in Atlanta. Well worth the wait even if we weren't really allowed to speak.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
What's your earliest memory of seeing a US president?

Mine - in 1950, when Eisenhower stopped in Fort Worth while on a visit to Texas. My dad held me (age 1) up in the air to see Ike in the crowd. I unfortunately did not recognize the importance of the event, and, scared of being held up in the air, I peed on my dad's head. Maybe I was disappointed that Ike wasn't president yet?

OK, I'll bite - let the furriner do it - I feel like there could just possibly be a universal politician metaphor there. Just sayin' :whistle:

And if that is too far then just this, some days you are the statue and and other the days the penguin. :grin:

:cheers:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Saw Bush the first here in OKC when he was running for re-election.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Not a president but close. VP Hubert Humphrey at the Sheraton in Worcester Massachusetts. Had a need for a quiet moment at a business function where he was a guest speaker. Truth be told I needed to get away because of all the pseudo political cronies. Sat at the bottom of a path going to the indoor fountain when a voice commented on my quiet reflective manner. I without looking expressed my disenchantment and after being quite candid looked up and was totally embarrassed. Attempted to apologize but very gently the Vice President assured me I was okay and he understood my feelings. He then started to leave and several gents followed. Realized it was his security. My seat was at the end of a long table and in his exit path. He saw me, stopped and shook my hand saying it was a delight to speak with me. Instant celebrity made my world right again. Disenchantment turned to joy.