• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Hif’s Rear leaking gas

bobnorway

Freshman Member
Did a carb change from a single Strom on my 77. Rebuilt HIF’s and changed all the stuff needed but when I turned pump on rear carb leaking gas. Front seemed ok.....float problem? I did check for crackers before installing and seemed fine. Put in new needles with rubber tip. Might be stuck? Also do carbs have to come off ? :(
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Bob, welcome and sorry to hear of this. At this point literally the only advice I can offer is point out that you have posted it in the thread that helps people navigate the software of the forum itself. So, pretty much no chance you are going to get an answer. (except mine :grin: )

Can you repost in the forum of the make of your car? Or let us know the make and I am sure a moderator can move it.

Good Luck!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Bob, as JP said, you posted your question in the wrong forum. The forum you posted in is for asking for help, as JP said, in how too navigate the forum. Since I see in your profile you have a 77MGB, I'm assuming this should be in the MG forum, so I'm moving it. When you next see this thread, it will be in the MG forum. I'll leave a pointed in the original forum to direct people to the thread in the MG forum.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Bob, and welcome!

Yes, they do have to be removed to check floats, etc. - a disadvantage of HIF carbs.

Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Try *GENTLY tapping on the carb body with a screwdriver handle as the pump is running. Sometimes the needle gets a bit out of alignment and a tap or two may seat it... if not there's no choice but to disassemble the thing and find out what's wrong.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Bob, Who's float valves did you replace the old ones with? I've had problems with the newer "Gross" valves bypassing, (not seating right). PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gross Valves are evil and wrong. o back to brass.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's somewhat unlikely but I have seen HIFs leak from where the counterbored screw that holds the float pin in place fits into the carb body. As for Gross jets, not a fan of those myself.

dklawson

Yoda
I removed Grose Jets from my cars also. I have had them stick open and stick closed but never work correctly. I now run the Viton tipped traditional float valves.

HOWEVER, recently I bought generic Viton tipped float valve kits from one of the usual sources. The brass seats for the needles were poorly made. Neither sealed properly. I re-used the old brass seats with the new needles and all seems well. Keep that in mind when you order your float valves. Get the genuine Burlen/SU parts if possible.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A bit of personal opinion now: get the carb parts from joe Curto.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Consider joining the Chicagoland MG Club (chicagolandmgclub.com), if you haven't already done so. We are a wealth of mostly correct knowledge, and have several members in Downer's Grove.

We are having a British Car Swap Meet this Sunday at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.