• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A washed their car cover

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Has anybody washed their car cover in the washing machine and dried it in the dyer. The cover is the middle grade one from Moss and looks like it can be done, but cannot find in good input on care.
peaceout

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I have washed my very inexpensive canvas cover at a local suds mart that has a big machine, I used the delicate setting and very mild detergent without any fragrance. I air dried it and it was fine. FWIW!

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That is what I was going to try, mild soap on delicate. I think it will fit in my machine, but it has that papery feel to it, so I just was not sure. The cover has breathing holes or something because saw dust was getting through it and being out in my barn the dust is dirty and made some stains.

I was hoping for the dryer, but when I think more about the dryer might kill it. However, I still might but it the dryer for a few minutes.
Peace out

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a Noah BlockIt car cover and my wife has washed it several times. She says she washes it on delicate with cold water and a little less detergent than a normal load of clothes.

Bill
TS63273L

dklawson

Yoda
In my reply I will deviate from Moss specific products.

I have used several different covers from Covercraft. In general, the "point bonded" (non-woven) covers last for no more than two summers. The sunlight and heat seems to make them become "fragile". They are quite bulky and won't fit the typical home washer. Laundering at the end of two seasons has typically resulted in fabric tears.

The more expensive Noah and Weathershield fabrics are woven and relatively compact. Their compact size does allow for home laundering in larger machines. They seem to last about 4 seasons. When they have failed, it typically is the stitching, not the fabric.

In summary, if your cover is more than a few seasons old you can expect it to become damaged in the wash. While some will fit in home washers and driers, you will benefit from using larger machines even if it involves the inconvenience of going to a laundromat. What I have done for the last 4 years involves using 2 covers. I use my OLDER cover (with re-stitched seams) on "top" of a newer cover which is in contact with the car. My hope is to prolong the life of the newer cover by minimizing its exposure to the elements.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
All good stuff you guys, and I did wash it on delicate with warm water and even dried it the dryer some on air. Then put in over a leather couch we have, while my wife was in Disneyland with the oldest grandkids. She got back last night, so the cover is at least in the car. The car is inside, and I use the cover to try and stop the paint fade before I done and plus keep the dust off because the first time I painted it all the dust that was hidden in the car and on the floor came out and mixed in with the paint and is now part of the paint job. This time when I paint, the dust should be gone and hopefully I with not experience that large of mess again.

I must add also that the paint shop went off my instructions when I ordered the paint. I told them I did not want to clear coat and plus I wanted an older school enamel look. I kinda blamed them in an earlier post for the quality of the paint because my mind goes there first when things do not go as I had anticipated them. Hopefully, this summer I will be able to show what a tr3 might have looked like in 1958. I must add to that also my driver was Apple Green Lacquer when it was new. I really would like to see one like that someday.
steve