• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Da Vinci Exhibit

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The Da Vinci Exhibit is at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History for a few months and Mary and I went to see it this morning on the opening day. In addition, we took a side trip to the planetarium and watched a really great show, then back to the Da Vinci exhibit. Here are some pictures (click the little "slide show" icon at the upper right of the page). Note that about mid-way through there are some pictures I took inside the planetarium.

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcarforum/albums/72157692498836404

CStanton-2018_02_10_0087.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for posting those photos. Sure wish that exhibition would come near us here, especially with those hands-on working models! It's really astounding how effective his inventions would have been with a relatively modern power source.

Say, do you recall what 2018_02_10_0128.jpg is? I can't figure out how to link to the image directly. I didn't see a title card - looks like a split walnut shell with rolls of cotton inside. He never designed a submarine - but maybe the image is his "boat to sink other boats"?

Thanks.
Tom M.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Wow! That is impressive.

Does anyone know to which museums this exhibit is headed? I found what appears to be the website for the traveling exhibit, but it only lists where the exhibit has been. This show looks like it is worth a road trip! (Albuquerque is a bit far from Pittsburgh...)

https://grandeexhibitions.com/da-vinci-the-genius/

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for posting those photos. Sure wish that exhibition would come near us here, especially with those hands-on working models! It's really astounding how effective his inventions would have been with a relatively modern power source.

Say, do you recall what 2018_02_10_0128.jpg is? I can't figure out how to link to the image directly. I didn't see a title card - looks like a split walnut shell with rolls of cotton inside. He never designed a submarine - but maybe the image is his "boat to sink other boats"?

Thanks.
Tom M.

This is the placard for that boat. It is called a Submarine (Sottomarino) in the exhibit.

DaVinci-2018_02_10_0093.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wow! That is impressive.

Does anyone know to which museums this exhibit is headed? I found what appears to be the website for the traveling exhibit, but it only lists where the exhibit has been. This show looks like it is worth a road trip! (Albuquerque is a bit far from Pittsburgh...)

It looks like museums or other organizations can "book" the exhibit. If you have a museum near by you might contact them and suggest it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Basil - thank you!

I'd never have guessed you can get the image link by choosing Download. Actually, never even noticed there was a download icon on the Flickr page.

Thanks!
Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil - thank you!

I'd never have guessed you can get the image link by choosing Download. Actually, never even noticed there was a download icon on the Flickr page.

Thanks!
Tom M.

They don't make it as obvious as it could be, that's for sure.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Great pics! Mary photographs well, you - not so much. :smile: Just kidding.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Looks like it was a great exhibit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow! That is impressive.

Check with the Buhl Planetarium there in Pittsburgh. They would be likely candidates for the exhibit.

catfood

Jedi Knight
If you ever get the chance to visit Tuscany the is a small museum dedicated to to work of Leonardo. It contains many small models of his inventions and is well worth visiting. Forgot to mention, it's in the village of Vinci!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
But Albuquerque is a great place to visit Popeye. I have been there 4 or 5 times from eastern PA.

Totally agree - southwest US is wonderful - especially the contrast to the lush (i.e. it rains all the time) western PA!

Unfortunately it is a loooong drive...

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
It looks like museums or other organizations can "book" the exhibit. If you have a museum near by you might contact them and suggest it.

Thanks! I will take up Dr Entropy’s suggestion on the Buhl... Let’s see where that goes!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks! I will take up Dr Entropy’s suggestion on the Buhl... Let’s see where that goes!
:thumbsup:

Went to the Buhl as a kid, they're an amazing bunch! Went to the "Sky Show" in the late fifties. Saw constellations and explanations, and the pendulum in the lobby put me in touch with life: *tick* *tick* *tick*...

...as in: we're finite. And; "Whadda ya gonna DO with that?!?
Perspective at an early age: "Space. The final frontier" a few years later. And Sputnik back then. Went onto th' south shore beach of Lake Erie and watched that basketball pass overhead and came aware, listened to th' "beep-beep-beep" on a Hallicrafters SX-99.

So now I'm sitting in my Florida garage, sipping Walker Black, toking a Cuban cigar and laughing at th' Universe.

"Turn left at Ganymede!" :smirk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrOQC-zEog

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have the original Mona Lisa in my den. Smuggled it out of France. Honest. Don't tell anyone.

It was clever of you to replace it with that tourists poster so no one would notice. By the way, one off my favorite movies is "Mr Bean" in which Bean (Rowen Atkinson) is left to "watch" Whistler's Mother paining and ends up destroying it.