Thread: Suspension Rebuild & Steering Box

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suspension Rebuild & Steering Box

I rebuild last month the passenger side front suspension. I ended up doing it all including replacing the trunnion and lower wish bone bushings.

Now working on the driver side suspension rebuild and hit a snag when taking off the lower wish bone A - arms. The left lower A-arm (close to the steering box) is not coming off. I was able to take off the lower A-arm bracket which attaches to the frame with two bolts, and the lower A-arm is loose and starts to slide off. My problem is that the steering unit is getting in the way when sliding off the lower A-arm. The bottom bolt for the steering box is larger than one inch so was not able to get a wrench on the bolt to remove and create clearance to remove the lower A-arm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SteveBones; 02-09-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added Photo
    Steve

TR3A - 1958 - British Racing Green
    TR4 - 1962 CT16758LO - Red, Wire Wheels, and Surrey Top - Owned for 25 years and restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: Suspension Rebuild & Steering Box

Just remove the through bolts holding the steering box in position, along with the brace on the suspension tower...then raise the box just enough to remove the arm.
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks John,

Tried what you described. Just could not get enough clearance. The missing part was purchasing a 1'1/16 wrench and removing the bolt at the bottom of the steering box. Fortunately ACE Hardware is only 10 minutes away. Thanks for you explanation. Helps to hear from others with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Just remove the through bolts holding the steering box in position, along with the brace on the suspension tower...then raise the box just enough to remove the arm.
    Steve

TR4 - 1962 CT16758LO - Red, Wire Wheels, and Surrey Top - Owned for 25 years and restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

FWIW, There is supposed to be a locktab on that nut.

I'm a little puzzled about why you don't have enough clearance. I've always been able to find a position where the arm will slip through, tho it takes just the right combination of steering position and arm position. Is the nylon sleeve already out of the A-arm?
    If you have the 'split' column, you should probably also remove the coupling between the upper and lower column. With that out of the way, you should be able to pry the steering box up. You might have to turn the steering a little, though.

If that won't do it, disconnect the center link from the drop arm.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Randall - I was able to remove the A-arm.

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    FWIW, There is supposed to be a locktab on that nut.

I'm a little puzzled about why you don't have enough clearance. I've always been able to find a position where the arm will slip through, tho it takes just the right combination of steering position and arm position. Is the nylon sleeve already out of the A-arm?
    If you have the 'split' column, you should probably also remove the coupling between the upper and lower column. With that out of the way, you should be able to pry the steering box up. You might have to turn the steering a little, though.

If that won't do it, disconnect the center link from the drop arm.
    Steve