• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Grease Gun Recommendation?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Anyone have a recommendation for a good grease gun? The one I'm using doesn't always seat on the nipples properly, leaving me with big globs of grease everywhere, but where they are supposed to be. The nipples are free -- I've poked them with a pin and the check ball is moving back and forth.

I think lubing the chassis has become one of my least favorite tasks. My least favorite task is changing the differential oil. Stinky and messy.

nomad

Yoda
The grease gun tips now days are cheap Asian cr*p! get on line and see if you can find Alemite grease gun tips. Don't know what gun you have but I recommend the same size as farmers and industry use with a flexible rubber hose. If you have a "Tractor Supply" store you should be able to get a good gun but no longer a good tip. Lowes or Home Depot probably as well. I like a "Lincoln" and I have pumped probably thousands of pounds of grease through them.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
Amazon has a Lincoln pistol grip Ll 1133 for $65 and an Alemite tip for another $11. Don't know how bad the tip you are now using is so you may be happy with the tip that comes with that gun. I have several of these all refitted with the better tip. i agree that there isn't much more aggravating than having the grease squeeze out around the tip but you might find that you will have to remove some of the nipples and turn by hand a drill bit into the fitting to clean out old hard grease. Pump a bit through the zerk when you have it out as well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm really curious to see what you find. I've struggled through a few from the parts stores over the last few years, none made it more than one season. I'm happy to pay good $$ for one that would work and last, but no luck so far.

nomad

Yoda
Trust me, the Lincolns are good guns. They use a full size cartridge and I don't know how hard those are to get in an urban situation but would imagine no trouble in an automotive parts store. If they are still the same gun as they have always made you can remove the guts and hold the tube upright to pump 80/90 wt into your steering rack as well. The back and plunger just unscrew.

Kurt.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I looked online - Lincolns are everywhere. I'm sure I'll be picking one up soon.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I see the ‘new’ locking tips advertised online and I’m thinking of getting one for my Lincoln...if I do I’ll report back.
Rut

nomad

Yoda
I see the ‘new’ locking tips advertised online and I’m thinking of getting one for my Lincoln...if I do I’ll report back.
Rut

I've seen some nice ones as well Rut but haven't tried them. A little pricey. Here on the farm the gun I put one on would probably never be the one I had when i needed it!

Kurt.