Thread: steering column bushings

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

steering column bushings

II have read the thread started by “griff” in 2009 and seem to have a similar problem but I do not see the solution.
    I presume that the circular indent in the outer tube is real, and the inside of the tube is otherwise clear. I can press a bushing in above the ridge, but it is then firmly located and prevents the outer tube from reaching the steering wheel. There is already a bushing at the bottom end of the tube .

So the only way I can insert the top bushing is to remove ( destroy) the bottom bushing with its location buttons and slide the top bushing up the shaft and hope it does not slide back down again. The bushing is a loose fit on the inner shaft once I had got it over the serrations on the bottom end, but will be a tight fit in the outer tube which will make it tough to push up. The new bottom bushing will then have to be forced over the serrated end. (wish it would come off but it seems well and truly stuck.) I suppose I could leave the bottom bushing off!

I hope that makes sense. I will post a photo or two later but I left them in the “garage” which is a distance away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Re: steering column bushings

If I'm reading this correctly, you have a TR3A with the 'split' steering column and are trying to install the felt bushing just below the steering wheel. Is that right? (It's helpful if you add your car's commission number to your signature, so we at least know which car you are asking about.)

The felt should go above the circular indent and IIRC protrude just slightly from the tube. But new felt is often supplied somewhat oversize and may need to be trimmed to fit. Mine was too thick, but rather than trying to thin it, I just turned a piece of Delrin to fit.

I don't understand about the "serrated end" "coming off" or forcing the bushing on. The bottom of the upper shaft has splines to fit into the coupler to the lower shaft; but the splines are an integral part of the shaft and are no larger than where the shaft rides in the lower bushing. It should slide easily through the bushing. The original lower bushing had layers of nylon, steel and rubber; but some aftermarket replacements don't have the steel.

The whole upper shaft should slide easily through both bushings, it's only located by the coupling to the lower shaft (which in turn is held by the ball bearings in the steering box). It should also turn easily. Any stiffness is going to contribute to making it harder to steer the car.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To keep the felt from wearing out and/or giving the wheel freedom from being a sloppy fit, I soaked the felt in 3in1 oil . LeT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A picture would help if you can post one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yes...the upper felt bushing installs from the top, not the bottom. A pic would help us see what is causing the trouble...
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you all for replies..

chassis 60016
    checked my !D 10 T factor and found I had not been so stupid as ignorant... and knowing it. ( I cannot get my photos in to the computer as another example.)
    I do thInk the Moss catalogue top remains a felt bushing around the wider part of the shaft, and thus above the ring

The serrated connection looked like push-on that had not gone all the way ( see missing photo!) Happy to be wrong about that and the location of the upper bush.. Will look for lubricant next ? MSO2.

You spared me a lot of expensive anguish.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dr_Mike; 02-09-2018 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Randall

Are you happy with the Delrin bushing that you made for your steering column? Curious to know how that is working out for you. Do you just push fit the Delrin, grease the column, and install it? Thanks for any tips. I am considering the same mod as I need to remove the steering column soon. Thanks

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, you have a TR3A with the 'split' steering column and are trying to install the felt bushing just below the steering wheel. Is that right? (It's helpful if you add your car's commission number to your signature, so we at least know which car you are asking about.)

The felt should go above the circular indent and IIRC protrude just slightly from the tube. But new felt is often supplied somewhat oversize and may need to be trimmed to fit. Mine was too thick, but rather than trying to thin it, I just turned a piece of Delrin to fit.

I don't understand about the "serrated end" "coming off" or forcing the bushing on. The bottom of the upper shaft has splines to fit into the coupler to the lower shaft; but the splines are an integral part of the shaft and are no larger than where the shaft rides in the lower bushing. It should slide easily through the bushing. The original lower bushing had layers of nylon, steel and rubber; but some aftermarket replacements don't have the steel.

The whole upper shaft should slide easily through both bushings, it's only located by the coupling to the lower shaft (which in turn is held by the ball bearings in the steering box). It should also turn easily. Any stiffness is going to contribute to making it harder to steer the car.
    Pat
    59 TR3A TS38096 L
    1968 TR250 CD6021LO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Seems to work just fine. I already had the shaft in place (my TR3 has the one-piece steering column), so I just pushed the bushing down over it. I left the bushing dry, but the shaft probably still has some moly on it from before.
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep I made mine too and very happy with it. Put about 800 miles on it last year and no hint of any slop in the steering. I know I mad a couple extra too to have on hand.