• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A steering column bushings

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
II have read the thread started by “griff” in 2009 and seem to have a similar problem but I do not see the solution.
I presume that the circular indent in the outer tube is real, and the inside of the tube is otherwise clear. I can press a bushing in above the ridge, but it is then firmly located and prevents the outer tube from reaching the steering wheel. There is already a bushing at the bottom end of the tube .

So the only way I can insert the top bushing is to remove ( destroy) the bottom bushing with its location buttons and slide the top bushing up the shaft and hope it does not slide back down again. The bushing is a loose fit on the inner shaft once I had got it over the serrations on the bottom end, but will be a tight fit in the outer tube which will make it tough to push up. The new bottom bushing will then have to be forced over the serrated end. (wish it would come off but it seems well and truly stuck.) I suppose I could leave the bottom bushing off!

I hope that makes sense. I will post a photo or two later but I left them in the “garage” which is a distance away.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If I'm reading this correctly, you have a TR3A with the 'split' steering column and are trying to install the felt bushing just below the steering wheel. Is that right? (It's helpful if you add your car's commission number to your signature, so we at least know which car you are asking about.)

The felt should go above the circular indent and IIRC protrude just slightly from the tube. But new felt is often supplied somewhat oversize and may need to be trimmed to fit. Mine was too thick, but rather than trying to thin it, I just turned a piece of Delrin to fit.

I don't understand about the "serrated end" "coming off" or forcing the bushing on. The bottom of the upper shaft has splines to fit into the coupler to the lower shaft; but the splines are an integral part of the shaft and are no larger than where the shaft rides in the lower bushing. It should slide easily through the bushing. The original lower bushing had layers of nylon, steel and rubber; but some aftermarket replacements don't have the steel.

The whole upper shaft should slide easily through both bushings, it's only located by the coupling to the lower shaft (which in turn is held by the ball bearings in the steering box). It should also turn easily. Any stiffness is going to contribute to making it harder to steer the car.

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
To keep the felt from wearing out and/or giving the wheel freedom from being a sloppy fit, I soaked the felt in 3in1 oil . LeT

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yes...the upper felt bushing installs from the top, not the bottom. A pic would help us see what is causing the trouble...

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thank you all for replies..

chassis 60016
checked my !D 10 T factor and found I had not been so stupid as ignorant... and knowing it. ( I cannot get my photos in to the computer as another example.)
I do thInk the Moss catalogue top remains a felt bushing around the wider part of the shaft, and thus above the ring

The serrated connection looked like push-on that had not gone all the way ( see missing photo!) Happy to be wrong about that and the location of the upper bush.. Will look for lubricant next ? MSO2.

You spared me a lot of expensive anguish.

Attachments

• steering column.rtfd.zip
    229.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Randall

Are you happy with the Delrin bushing that you made for your steering column? Curious to know how that is working out for you. Do you just push fit the Delrin, grease the column, and install it? Thanks for any tips. I am considering the same mod as I need to remove the steering column soon. Thanks

Pat

If I'm reading this correctly, you have a TR3A with the 'split' steering column and are trying to install the felt bushing just below the steering wheel. Is that right? (It's helpful if you add your car's commission number to your signature, so we at least know which car you are asking about.)

The felt should go above the circular indent and IIRC protrude just slightly from the tube. But new felt is often supplied somewhat oversize and may need to be trimmed to fit. Mine was too thick, but rather than trying to thin it, I just turned a piece of Delrin to fit.

I don't understand about the "serrated end" "coming off" or forcing the bushing on. The bottom of the upper shaft has splines to fit into the coupler to the lower shaft; but the splines are an integral part of the shaft and are no larger than where the shaft rides in the lower bushing. It should slide easily through the bushing. The original lower bushing had layers of nylon, steel and rubber; but some aftermarket replacements don't have the steel.

The whole upper shaft should slide easily through both bushings, it's only located by the coupling to the lower shaft (which in turn is held by the ball bearings in the steering box). It should also turn easily. Any stiffness is going to contribute to making it harder to steer the car.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Seems to work just fine. I already had the shaft in place (my TR3 has the one-piece steering column), so I just pushed the bushing down over it. I left the bushing dry, but the shaft probably still has some moly on it from before.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yep I made mine too and very happy with it. Put about 800 miles on it last year and no hint of any slop in the steering. I know I mad a couple extra too to have on hand.