• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 Rear Plate Lite on TR3A

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Will the TR2 rear license plate light interchange with that of a TR3A? I like the idea of adding a third brake/tail light, but don't want an outline of the previous light to show on the paint, nor do I wish to drill more holes. Anyone know?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, they mount differently and are slightly different shapes. The early light mounts in a large center hole, while the later one has 2 smaller holes to the sides.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, with the TR2 Triumph invented the 3rd brake light... just didn't have the 1st and 2nd light yet.

I changed the turn signal fixtures to dual filaments ones (like the front sidelamps/turn signals) and used the second filaments for 2 more brake lights. It does make the rear turn signal harder to see when the brake lights but that's a trade-off I live with.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another option, if you're so inclined, might be to remove the chrome cover and put some LED 'stars' inside. You would need to provide some kind of current limit, either a resistor or an active current source. (I used a simple two transistor current source.)
KBdyzIR.jpg

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Or https://litezupp.com/epages/ac0e8ca...h=/Shops/ac0e8cab-e6c1-4d6b-ab90-9213bdc3f061

Their description:
Below is a TR3 rear lamp. As you can see the right angle version fits in the socket and projects out the lens in a TR3. We recommend matching lens color to the LED as LEDs have a very narrow spectrum of light and you will get the maximum transmission of light through a color matching lens. We use four LED devices that provide up to 180 degree of beam out of our product so you will get a wide beam that will fill the rear lens with light.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I could be wrong, but I don't think that will fit in the license lamp. It uses single filament bulbs with a smaller base (and globe) than the others.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I'm thinking their use in tail lights rather than adding the third light. I've also seen some nice looking led license plate frames, but would like something located up higher.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My thought was to have something that was clearly a brake light, even if people didn't see it come on. I've had several people in the past mistake the original corner brake lights (on my old TR3A) for tail lights.

This seems to have been effective. I've noticed that people are more apt to stop a bit farther back, rather than running up until I disappear under their hood ornament! The video below also shows my LED tail/brake/turn on the left, with a tungsten bulb on the right. Not a huge difference, but I like how the LEDs come on just a tiny bit sooner than the incandescent.

[video=youtube;q4GMcD9DktQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q4GMcD9DktQ[/video]

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I chose a third LED brake light bar that fell out of a friends Celica spoiler during one of her accidents. A few days after another friend was rear ended in his TR3 by a pickup at a red light that didn't see him, I installed it on my luggage rack. It is much higher and more visible IMO. I drilled through the latch and wired it thru a 1/4 amp fuse thinking if the wire ever chaffs, the small fuse will blow and the remaining brake lights will function. It is attached to the rack with some plastic wire clamps and can be rotated up or down. It's high enough that I can see the reflection on the trunk lid in the mirror at night. I drive in congested traffic often and want all the visibility I can get.

Attachments

• Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 78

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
No, they mount differently and are slightly different shapes. The early light mounts in a large center hole, while the later one has 2 smaller holes to the sides.

This is a test reply to see if you get a notification email for the subscription to this thread.