• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Looking to get new wheels any Pics?

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Been looking at Mini Lite style wheels lately. Don't know why I'm thinking of doing this but looked on line a lot at wheels trying to find pics of a TR3 with different wheels. Got it down to ether a polished aluminum or a painted silver alloy. Anyone have any pics so I can compare?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Silver Alloy from John Brown Wheels (JBW)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cheers
Tush

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mine are 8 spoke painted alloys from Rimmer Brothers in UK. Been happy with them. Cheers, Mike

44D9F274-588D-4BCC-972A-763605F0C8D6.jpg592C0352-C828-44B2-92CC-E4DEA1C517F7.jpeg5CECE072-EE45-440B-BAE0-7A60D6CAAA96.jpeg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I was younger I wanted fancy wheels on my TR4. Nowadays it seems there are only a few of us running the original wheels/caps and I like that too. That said, if I came across a set of Cosmics they'd be on the Sprite in a New York minute!

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have minilites on my TR4, but I could not bring myself to fit wheels other than wires or steelies on a TR2-3.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One thing that convinces me of alloys is i took off my wires on my TR250 and got Rota wheel mini lite look-a-likes and transformed the ride of the car.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TUSH. Those look like painted with polished rims? So far that's in the running. Always worried that wheels would look too shinny if straight polished.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yep, painted with polished lip.

Cheers
Tush

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
John Brown wheels again but in Graphite.
7DB0F328-5CD6-4D2C-AF30-06E0683B54B5.jpeg

jimstr4

I'm considering going to 72 spoke 5.5" chrome wires on my TR4.
They come in at about NZ$3000 (US$2160).
How practicle are they?
I heard that the more spokes the better the handling and thus ride?

Jim and the soon to be on the road TR4.

parkerg1

I guess I am a traditionalist, but I went with 60 spoke chromes. I think they look great.

Jim, check Rimmer Bros. in GB. They blew everybody in US away on price..TR-wheels-web.jpg

Gary

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm considering going to 72 spoke 5.5" chrome wires on my TR4.
They come in at about NZ$3000 (US$2160).
How practicle are they?
I heard that the more spokes the better the handling and thus ride?

Jim and the soon to be on the road TR4.

Well, the more spokes, the stiffer the wheel, but also the heavier the wheel which is a detriment. In all reality, modern aluminum wheels are best overall for stiffness and light weight. Not listening to my own advice on wheels, I opted for 72 spoke 5.5" wires for my TR3. I didn't get the chromes, because I thought they they weren't suited for the TR. To me, Jags and higher end stuff look better with the chromes. As far as practicality goes, wires are about the worst. Sometime in their life they will need adjustments, can be a PITA to keep clean and a lot tire places won't touch them, much less have the proper adapters to balance them. Of course, you only need a hammer to get them off, and they do look great. :encouragement:

IMG_0817s.jpg

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
72-Spoke wheels are nice and strong, and will greatly extend (or eliminate?) the need for periodic truing. One trick to lighten the wheels a bit and have the 72s look a bit more "period" on a sidescreen TR is to use a set of 15 x 5 Morgan Plus Four wheels. Same Dunlop style as TR6 wheels, but narrower and a little more vintage-looking. The 72's were optional on late '60s Plus Fours, and are commonly seen on the Supersport cars. The wheel offset (backspace) is also visually appropriate for a TR, and (typically running 165-section Vredesteins) I've never had any interference or truing issues with the set I put on my car back in the '90s.

The other trick to minimizing the weight impact of the 72-spoke wheel and tire combination is to shop around and determine the weight of the tires you are considering. Tire weight isn't always published, but is normally available if you ask. 155-section tires are what I use for a spare wheel in an early car, and I found that weight varies a lot here also. The Vredestein 155 tire on my spare weight something like 8 or 10 pounds less than a USA-made (don't remember the weight) tire that I also had handy at the time.WT2002_50a.jpg

Frank_D

Country flag
I installed splined alloys purchased from Rimmer Bros in the UK at competitive prices. These replaced my 60 spoke painted wires that were sold to Tush. Very good quality and good performance with Vredetstein 165SR15's mounted. They really fill the wheel opening nicely.
IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0405.jpg

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
I have minilites on my TR4, but I could not bring myself to fit wheels other than wires or steelies on a TR2-3.

I like my steel wheels with hub caps but the problem being that I can't find anybody that can straighten them. I've had them straightened locally and they are better but there's still a bit of wobble above 65mph. Are there reproductions that accept the hub caps? I like the looks of MiniLites but it bothers me that they are not period.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
... I like the looks of MiniLites but it bothers me that they are not period.

Actually, they are period correct. They original MiniLites were developed for the Austin Mini, hence the name. They were soon being made in many sizes for other cars. This all started in the very early '60s.

https://minilite.co.uk/

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
That blue '56 with the MiniLites is gorgeous. Wish I could find aluminum wheels that look like the original steel wheels with or without hub caps. I'd buy them in a second.