• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Food you can no longer get

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Some people's tastes run to fine wine, cognac, and cavier, while I have nothing against this stuff (especially the wine) my tastes are a little more basic. I crave Kraft Chicken Noodle Dinner, a guilty pleasure that is apparently nls, as we say in the old parts business. Anybody remember that stuff, or have a similar longing for some taste they have loved and lost? Is there a secret source that I may be missing?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Some people's tastes run to fine wine, cognac, and cavier, while I have nothing against this stuff (especially the wine) my tastes are a little more basic. I crave Kraft Chicken Noodle Dinner, a guilty pleasure that is apparently nls, as we say in the old parts business. Anybody remember that stuff, or have a similar longing for some taste they have loved and lost? Is there a secret source that I may be missing?

Never even heard of it. In Canada we have Kraft Dinner - which is literally what it is called here as opposed to Kraft Mac 'n Cheese in the US of A. Didn't realize there were variations.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Schweppes bitter lemon. Also... Sunshine raisin cookies, thin flat, light tan squares with raisins mashed in. We called them pressed fly cookies!

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Roger that. THANK YOU ROGER! Growing up, it seemed a staple at my house, along with English muffins, Scottish marmalade and Robertson's lemon curd. Not to leave out Major Greys chutney. A fine childhood! Where is the fresh dark pumpernickel hiding?

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sunshine raisin cookies, thin flat, light tan squares with raisins mashed in. We called them pressed fly cookies!

Pretty sure these are still available here in the colonies

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
My grandmother's roast and potatoes! Not available at Amazon or Trader Joe's! :playful:

Country flag
Mine used to make this great potato salad. Had the recipe on a card tucked in with other ones but something about the card reacted with the papers next to it and when I went to get it out it had turned to little paper crumbs. She's been gone almost 25 years now but I can still mentally taste it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Now you guys are making me hungry. I can still taste grandma's fried chicken. She also dispatched the chickens herself.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Most of the people I know who had to prep and cook chickens "from start to finish" have kind of lost their taste for chicken, including my wife and father. As a city kid all I have had to do is cook it and eat it.

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Fortunately, you can still find fried chicken, greens and bacon, mac and cheese, corn, and biscuits!

chicken.jpg

(But I still miss old-fashioned Life Savers with lemon, lime, cherry, pineapple, and orange flavors ...)

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And if you can still get Top Ramen, what about Bottom Ramen? :wink-new:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"She also dispatched the chickens herself."

My grandma usually made me dispatch and pluck the chickens.

Country flag
Reminds me of a time with the boy scout troop I was part of as a kid. After I aged out I helped out in the summers while in college and one year at a district camp with about 100 boys someone decided to have them kill and prepare chickens. Was supposed to be 1 chicken for every 4 boys. Now most of these kids were in town type and had never prepared a meal from the start like that. Fortunately wiser heads prevailed, mental pictures of 100 kids chasing 25 chickens round this field probably helped, and they decided boxes of ready to cook chicken parts made more sense. Although it probably would have been amusing to watch...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Someone chicken out.... sorry, couldn't help it.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Dead Richard the Plumber had an old Ford van with a hatch in the floor that used to cover a battery. May have been a 65 or so. Anyhow he used to show up with various kinds of fresh fowl now and then and we'd cook em and eat em. One day we were taking his van to work and he had a goose and a duck in a coupla boxes in the back of the van. The smell hit me when I jumped in. Ducks! Yuck. Well...it turned out he'd been nabbing waterfowl at the park by pulling up where they fed the ducks, chumming with bread through the hatch, and yanking the unwitting bird up into the van. But the key take away from this story is; bigger ain't better, get the young ones.

Last edited:

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Royal Lunch Crackers with sugar and milk. Anytime of day or night. Goggled them and sure enough found them. Was so excited I bought six boxes. Found out that many food items I can't get in New Mexico can be purchased on line. Shipping is expensive but its worth it. Andrulli's Farmers Cheese and Gaspar's linguica are two that come to mind. Oh and Friendship Brand Farmers Cheese. Need to google farva beans, the giant ones used in Portuguese soups. Just thought of that. Wrote it down so I didn't forget. Well shucks who started this thread? I am now hangry. Yes hangry.