Thread: Need help with a 1969 triumph tr6

Freshman Member
    Chats

Need help with a 1969 triumph tr6

A week ago i was troubleshooting the marker lamps and the car would turn over at the time, but not start. I went to test it today and now the ignition light doesn't even come on. Help please.

Chats

Re: Need help with a 1969 triumph tr6

First thing I would check is the battery. Are both cables connected & tight? Do the headlamps come on brightly?

Freshman Member
    Chats

Battery is fully charged. Clamps on tight, but no lights what so ever work. Fuses are good

Chats

Check all ground connections.
    Bob

Chats

Clean battery posts and clamps, doesn't take much sometimes to keep it from making a connection. Where is your negative/ grd cable connected? Remove it from wherever it is mounted and clean both surfaces. If it is factory cable it should be mounted both to the engine and body.
    Marv

Freshman Member
    Chats

Checked ground with ohmeter. Little to no resistance. Cleaned contacts.

Chats

Check the positive connection at the solenoid too, all the power goes through that point. If it corrodes you get the same symptoms as a bad ground. I had this happen on my TR4a once.

Freshman Member
    Chats

Brand new solenoid installed last month. Contacts are new and corrosion free

Chats

A lot goes thru the wires to and from the ammeter...you might have to check that out.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Freshman Member
    Chats

Ammeter works fine and still does. I need to know why the ignition stopped working. The engine just stopped turning over one day.

Chats

Yeah, I get that...Have you looked at a wiring schematic specifically for a 69 TR6, though ?
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Freshman Member
    Chats

Yes, i am using a haynes manual for the car. It just doesnt go as in depth as i'd like. Sorry, just a little fed up with some rust around the headlights

Chats

No, use this one...just scroll down the page to the PDF with the real 69 schematic
    http://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Chats

I usually try to isolate/track the problem by the easiest means possible before digging into things too much. Just to verify, it sounds like you aren't getting juice to anything-ignition switch no click-nothing? No headlights or horn? (Should work regardless if ignition on or off). If no power whatsoever you might also check battery cables, they can look ok and be bad. If the horn and or headlights work might check the ignition switch.

Lastly, you said you were working on electrics before it quit. I often have found if something worked before I mucked around with the car, and no longer works after, it can often be traced to what I mucked around with. Not necessarily did anything wrong, but if you disturbance system where some part is marginal it can easily go from working to inop.

Chances are it's a loose wire somewhere check what you did and make sure it's connected properly and grounded get a test light and start from the battery and work your way down to the starter then the coil

Chats

Do have power to the exciter wire (white with red I think) to the solenoid when you crank the engine? Do you have power to the ignition switch both in and out. If not try running a jumper to it and see what comes out the other side. That would eliminate switch problems.

Freshman Member
    Chats

High resistance found on bith sides of the coil, and the points are stopped whilst closed shut. Should I be worried?

I think you need to do some systematic troubleshooting to find the place where you're losing voltage. That means, use a voltmeter or a test lamp and trace the circuit from the battery, through the switch, and find the point where the voltage disappears.

Also, a little basic logical thinking would help. If the whole car is electrically dead, the problem isn't going to be the ignition coil. It is likely a bad connection close to the battery or a defective switch. Looking at the connections and pronouncing them OK is probably not the best way to go--things can look good and be bad. A voltage measurement will be more meaningful.
    Steve Maas
    1966 Triumph TR4A, undergoing restoration: http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a
    1952 MG TD, restoration completed 2014, sold 2016: http://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd
    1960 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, sold 2010: http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite
    1967 Porsche 912: http://www.nonlintec.com/porsche

Freshman Member
    Chats

Ney Chris, you should get 4 ohms on the coil. Are you getting any power, lights? Does it crank? If not I'm thinking ignition switch area.