• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dynamat in Boot?

blue62

Freshman Member
Hi all,
I have a question or two.
I am restoring a 1960 BT7 (Well I tell myself that is what I'm doing).
I plan on using Dynamat or some other form of anti-drum insulator.
my question is-
Has anyone used Dynamat or a similar product in the boot?
Did the boot mat kit fit properly over the anti-drum product?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Dave, I don't think I've heard of anyone that has put Dynamat in the boot. That stuff is pretty expensive and I would think it's a waste of time and money as virtually all of the heat and sound that you are trying to eliminate will come from the engine bulkhead, cabin floorboards and transmission cover. I am have just completed the restoration of a BJ7 and I decided to try something different from Dynamat. I got rolls of home heating duct insulation from Home Depot. It is 1/4" thick self-adhesive foam with a foil back, much less expensive. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if it has reduced the noise or heat levels as I bought the car in pieces so don't have a baseline reference to compare to.

Griz

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave, when I did my BT7, I did all the surfaces of the cockpit interior, including the rear bulkhead behind the seat back and the rear interior fenders. I didn't put any in the boot area but I don't think you would have any issues installing the trunk liner over the dynamat. It is less than 1/4" thick. Not sure you will get much benifit from dynamat in the boot, but it does make a tremendous difference in the cockpit, both in heat and sound. Also make sure to install some on the interior surfaces of the doors. Eliminates the tinny sound when closing the door. Almost like an expensive car.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dave, when I assembled my car I used Dynaliner. It comes in both 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses and is less expensive than Dynamat. Very easy to work with, and does not hold moisture. If you choose to use it in the boot I see no reason it would interfere with the installation of the armacord liner.

turtle

I'm planning on using lizard skin heat control in the cockpit with the addition of dynamat around the cockpit side of the firewall and transmission (and doors). Im debating using the lizard skin sound control. It might be worth it. Mine's a nasty boy so I have some space issues in the cockpit so I can't put really thick carpet/insulation combo in so I'm going to try the lizard skin first and can always add the dynamat in lieu of thicker insulation.

OP
B

blue62

Freshman Member
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback.
Rob if you see this just wanted to let you know that these are expensive cars:confusion:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave, you're correct, these are expensive cars......but well worth it.
I need to offer a correction to my last post. I did not put the dynamat on the inside of the rear bulkhead because I wanted to paint that area as original. That is the area which is visible when you remove the rear seat Bach. However, I did apply the dynamat inside the boot to the rear bulkhead and covered it with the glued on trunk liner.
Rob