• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Apple Hydraulics vs White Post Restoration

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Has anybody had current experience with the above-named rebuilders of brake/clutch cylinders? I found some forum references from 10-20 years ago, but nothing more recent. Apple charges $125 per brake/clutch master cylinder, White Post $225 per, quite a difference.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I used White Post 4 years ago. All is good with the rebuild. Is Apple re-sleeving the cylinders with bronze at that price?

OP
ckeithjordan

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I asked Mark Macy what they charge to rebuild and he replied they don’t rebuild, they install new TRF or Moss ones. Aside from costs, what might be the benefit of one or the other (rebuild vs. new)?

By the way Moss has them on sale for $21.95(!), though out of stock at the moment, TRF’s are about $41.95, I think.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Shops install new units to avoid the potential liability of rebuilding a brake part: if a shop does a rebuild, they're liable if the brakes fail and losses are incurred. If they simply install a new unit, then the liability for the unit generally flows to the manufacturer of the brake cylinder. Nothing to do with whether a new or rebuilt unit is better, and everything to do with ducking potential lawsuits.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I asked Mark Macy what they charge to rebuild and he replied they don’t rebuild, they install new TRF or Moss ones. Aside from costs, what might be the benefit of one or the other (rebuild vs. new)?

By the way Moss has them on sale for $21.95(!), though out of stock at the moment, TRF’s are about $41.95, I think.

I have 10k on a Moss brake master with no issues,while I am on my fourth clutch master.Leaking from cylinder bore wear was the issue,likely due to longer stroke and way more frequent use.The internals are always fine with dot 5.
Moss replaced the last one on warranty.I took the new internals out and sent to Apple with a worn Moss cylinder and they resleeved,awaiting installation but looks nice with brass or bronze sleeveand a closer fit on the piston.
3 weeks and 90+since I supplied the internals..
I think all the available cylinders are the same except for some name castings in some like the Willwood.
Moss did say they changed the design,this well after the recall issue,but the last cylinder was the same as the previous 3,in and out.They do have a slightly different boot and rubber band but not an issue for me.
Tom

OP
ckeithjordan

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I can appreciate the liability issue, but shops rebuild all kinds of components where failure could be a result (and catastrophic). Apple Hydraulics and White Post rebuild brake parts and are subject to that same liability. Mark stated that time was a factor, plus his opinion that new was better. I did not ask why.

My particular follow-on question is really about owners' opinions or experiences with new versus rebuilds (plus I'm still looking for additional comments about the two rebuilders).

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
In my case the TR2 master cylinder is no longer available. There are repros...but they are obviously “unoriginal”.

windsor

Freshman Member
Country flag
I used Apple to rebuild the lever shocks as well as the brake and clutch master cylinders on my TR6 4 years ago . I was happy with the work . In the case of the master cylinders , I powder coated them before having them sleeved

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used Whitepost for my double bore TR2 Lockheed master cylinder on the TR2 and the Doretti, and the rebore (with stainless, I think?) has been fine. An ownership change occurred in the last 3-5 years ar Whitepost, I believe, but they did really nice work for me and backed it up with a lifetime guaranty. I would recommend a quality rebuild of an original part rather than a cheaper newly manufactured part. There have been problems with classic gold stuff in the past, and its hard to keep track of what quality standards are used. I don't think the rebuild or reboring is rocket science, so maybe Apple can do as well as White Post.

Dan

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
It will be 20 years in October when Apple did both my calipers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In my case the TR2 master cylinder is no longer available. There are repros...but they are obviously “unoriginal”.
Same thing applies to early Girling MCs.

Resleeving seems like it should be fairly easy, but so far has frustrated my meager machining skills. For one thing, the bore is not actually straight but changes size near the bottom. For another, the mounting flange is not rigid enough to hold the cylinder while boring it out for the new sleeve. The casting flexes, causing the bore to be tapered.

BL50

Bronze
Country flag
I've used Apple a number of times with excellent results.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
White post was sending out the work to another shop in the past. They may now have the machines, but would use Apple if I was on the east coast.
i know this, because I had a problem and Billy at White Post referred me directly to the shop that did the work.