• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A New Rocker panels [sills] not round enough

jimstr4

Hello again, just a warning re panel fit.
I had both floors panels, all the inner and outer sills or rocker panels replaced as well as the A and B posts repaired.
As well as the bottom half of the side and front footwell panels.
The panels were from Moss Europe and I think are heritage panels.
The floor panels are a great fit including the caged nuts.
The inner sills are great also.
The outer sills look good but the ends are not quite round enough, resulting in the outer panels not quite fitting over the sills.
I'll post photos soon.
I'm waiting for a call from my panelbeater so that he can chop up the ends of the sills so that the outer panels fit.

Jim and the 1962 TR4.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Those panels have never been quite right in my experience. There were some on eBay at on time that claimed to be a better fit but quite pricey and I haven't seen them lately. I think most of us just worked the Moss panels into place. I think the TRF panels might be better but the ones I used a few years ago needed considerable work to fit also.
Tom

OP
J

jimstr4

Here's a photo of the gap.

Attachments

• Rear Panel Gap.jpg
    Rear Panel Gap.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 160

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jim,

Just a quick question. When you installed the new sills, did you push the bottom of the sills upwards to meet the floor bottoms? I used a length of 2x4 along the bottom edge of the sill and then jacked it up with a floor jack. I clamped it the the floor bottom and then checked the fender fitment.
Having said that, I agree, they still don't fit great. I am findin that out on my TR250 project although my cars been screwed around with so much it's hard to blame everything on the sills.

Cheers
Tush

Country flag
I will be doing that job in a few weeks along with inner sills. I have panels from vicky brit, don't know who made them. These panels have been on the shelf for a few years. Maybe good, maybe not. Thanks for warning but will make them fit.
Marv

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I had similar problems with my TR250. Pushing the bottom up helps but doesn't fix everything. This was with parts I bought about 9 years ago. Similar experience with my TR4a many years ago. The "cookie cutter" end caps seem to be right, but they didn't fit for me without some modifications.

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The "cookie cutter" end caps seem to be right, but they didn't fit for me without some modifications.

This was true for my end caps as well. All 4 needed major modifications to even think about fitting.
Jim, how did your end cap fit ?

OP
J

jimstr4

I didn't jack the sills up with a 2x4, should have.
Blast.
The caps needed chopping and jamming in.
I'm going to take the fenders off again and have another look at the caps etc, I think that that area might need cutting and rewelding.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
How does the bottom of the door look in relation to the top of the sill when fitted ?
My first impression is that the top of the sill needs to extend out..ie..needs a spacer strip welded in.
I would have temporarily fitted a front and rear guard and a door before fitting the sill..only that will determine the position and shape of the sill...[one cannot assume that just welding in the replacement sill is the correct procedure]
Also, you will probably find that the sill ends require more of a recess than is provided by the repro panels so that the guards line up nicely with the outer sill when finally fitted.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My complaint is these panels various radii on the edges is not as tight as the original panels. I was told the tooling needs to be reworked, makes perfect sense but doubt it will happen.

OP
J

jimstr4

Yep.
That was the F.. UP.
The lack of prefitting and subsequent fettling to match the curves of the guards and door.
Sounds like much welding is in order as well as better shaped outer sills.