• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A were the 2 metal gas lines connect

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
This picture is from under the car were the 2 metal gas lines connect just before the union on an early tr3 or I think tr2 from the gas tank to engine. My concern is which hole to use. I am thinking that the line goes through the hole closet to the frame, that way the line would tuck into the frame web better. However, it looks like the other hole towards the center of the car might be the way it goes because then 2 of those clamps would hold the line in place; anyone have a picture of this area, maybe John.

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
See if this helps...

qUQCXps.jpg

BTW - That's a rubber grommet in the hole the line passes thru.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Geo you always have good stuff and that is what my gut told me, and it seems to match the other end better on the outside hole-- plus that is the way I thought it was when I took it apart 40 years ago, really this is one I have had for a long time and it has been on hold and moved around a lot over the years

--- The other way on the inner hole seems to match up better if I were to use those little O shaped clips in those 2 holes in the tub. But, again I have only seen those O shaped clips on post 60K cars. I was using them because I had some left over and I remember John showing O clips on his tr2 build, and I cannot remember for sure. The way I kinda remember a per60K car is that the line fastened on the inner frame webbing, and it had those push in pipe holders and that was it. However, it does not seem correct for the area right below the gas tank not to have something holding the line to the tub before the line meets the seconded section of pipe and goes down the frame webbing to the engine.

Oh the purist in me. But again, the fun and challenge for me is doing this the way it was. Maybe Marv remembers or knows; he has taken so many apart.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Geo that is a huge help; would you by chance have any pictures that go back towards the gas tank to see what holds the line in place?
steve

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is all I have before I restored the car, hope they help.

Attachments

• TR3 coming apart 072.jpg
    TR3 coming apart 072.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 186
  • TR3 coming apart 073.jpg
    TR3 coming apart 073.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 173
  • TR3 coming apart 074.jpg
    TR3 coming apart 074.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 171

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Pl6syBw.jpg

This is the area from above (body removed). In my “before pics there was no floor to photograph!?! I’ll look through to see if I have any after pics of the tub floor and line routing.

Yep, I think I left them out of the build thread because they are so dark...

ELGPImx.jpg

This is the line coming out of the tank fitting. It has a little loop that brings it back to the tub floor and gets it heading directly to the left side of the tub.

b4wr1al.jpg

Here we are looking from the left towards the right, just behind the spare tire holder. To the right you can see the “loop” mentioned above bringing the line back up to the tub...and then one of those “O” clips attaches it there, about at the center of the car. Towards the left of the pic you can see the bend in the line turning it forward forward, so it runs down the sloped portion of the tub (on pre-60k cars...this area is a bit different post 60K).

cU4zFx2.jpg

As the line nears the edge of the tub, where the inner wheel liner is spot welded, it takes a 90 degree turn to go downward towards the frame. Here another “O” clip holds it to the tub.

y22rHDP.jpg

This shot sorta shows what you already noticed...until you hook the hard lines together, it looks like either frame opening would work. But, the outer one gets the grommet and the line...the inside hole is for the spring pin removal like Tim mentioned.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys that is very helpful. The rear section of my fuel line got damaged and twist around by some disrespectful mover and the O clamps got lost. The newer/different tub is undercoated and I cannot see the holes for the O clamps. Plus would you have the last picture where the back line meets the front line with the picture taking from the back. This thing has got me upside-down.
steve

Dave L

Freshman Member
Country flag
does anyone have any pictures of how to route the whole line from the tank to the union? I already kinked one gas line and have to buy another. If anyone has any measurements, that would be great as I have no reference and I really do not want to spend the money on prebent lines.
Thanks,
dave

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes the year makes a big difference. Somewhere around 1959they changed to what is called a post 60K car for the vin numbers after 60K;anyways the gas lines are different and you can tell by what kind of back seat arrangementyou have also. If your car has the back seat built into the tub, your fuel linewill look like a tr4 pictured in the Moss catalog with a piece of rubberconnecting the 2 lines. That one is much easier to make. I have a long sectionof that one out back and I can measure it if that is what you have, and on boththe back section is about 4 ft.

Most large cities have supply houses where they sell a 25ft rollof fuel line that needs to be straightened for like 20 bucks. Often they arethe shops that work on large trucks and their hydraulics. And then you would straightenand bend it.
I rebuilt a 1961 once and probably made 3 lines before I washappy. They have to fit well to get the clips to hold correct and the line tolook decent. If you have any extra of those O shaped clamps that go on the backline, I will trade one of my kids for 3 of them..
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That reminds me, Steve, I have not found anymore of the clips, but I'll keep my eye open if any turn up. I could swear I have at least one kicking around somewhere.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here are some photos of where my 59 3A line is located, I made the pipes out of copper .

Graham

Attachments

• P1010146.jpg
    P1010146.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010159.jpg
    P1010159.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010160.jpg
    P1010160.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 139
OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That would great John; they are difficult to come by. I wishI would have paid better attention back in the day and saved some. I have 2,but was going to use one on my driver for the radiator and one for the projectradiator. Then figure out a substitute for the gas lines. I am still ahead onour transactions until you start something in Triumph were I should be able tohelp.

Dave L

Freshman Member
Country flag
thanks to all, I am going to go out now and try to make a template out of cooper wire so I can bent the pipe. I think for now, I will use the clips for the brake lines until I can locate something better.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
You can purchase most the tr3 clips from Moss Motors for a few bucks; plus I believe it would be possible to use some of the tr4 clips for those back 3 clips on a tr3 if you rework the holes some.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
thanks to all, I am going to go out now and try to make a template out of cooper wire so I can bent the pipe. I think for now, I will use the clips for the brake lines until I can locate something better.

The special thing about the "O" clips is that they do not protrude through the floor. Only a few thousandths remains above the floor. The frame clips leave a good 1/2" sticking out. The pipe is stiff enough to support itself for many 10's of thousands of miles without being clipped down, until you can find a decent clip.