• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Wing installation

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’m sitting here reveneering a TR4a dash and for some reason I started thinking about installing the wings back on a TR4a. My cars never sit out in the rain, but I’ve seen so many with rust along the top of the wings that I’m wondering if they should be sealed? My plan is to epoxy prime and topcoat both sides prior to installation and I’m thinking about using the 3M butyl rubber caulk that comes in round strips between the wing and tub in reassembly. Has anyone used this product for this purpose and is it a good idea? I really want to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks, Rut

Country flag
Subject has be beat around on TR3 wings as well. I epoxy prime and use body color acrylic enamel on all the underside parts before bolting together. Have never used any type sealer between fenders and tub. To me it will help hold moisture. I like the idea of water being able to drip on though when I wash the car. Just my two cents worth.
Marv

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with Marv. If you paint the parts before assembly you should be protected. Having taken apart several TR's it appears that they were assembled and then painted. So that places you are worried about did rust because they were not painted to begin with.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys! With improvements in paint technology and epoxy primers I agree with your comments. On the Bugeye I used Eastwood’s internal frame coating in the sills, spring boxes, and shut areas as well as epoxy primer and urethane topcoat on the rest of the car. I’m also considering re routing the drains that empty into the front wing area and addressing any other problem areas including the frame on the 4a.
Thanks, Rut

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rut;1072837 I’m also considering re routing the drains that empty into the front wing area and addressing any other problem areas including the frame on the 4a. Thanks said:
Rut,
I went to the trouble of rerouting the drains behind the front fenders on one of my cars. Then I started looking at how much rust was actually found behind those places in the front fenders. The answer was virtually none. So with the second restoration I did not reroute the drains. I say it is not worth the effort . The only water that is going to get into that area is from the vent if it is open while sitting or driving in the rain. Or if you have a leak around the wiper arms.

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
Okay, I have to ask. What is a wing?

SASSAMON

Perry,

Ask questions and we will answer!

We often use the original words and phases that go with our Little British Cars. They are often found when reading original documentation. Knowing the terms will help in understanding and following instructions.

LBC Wing is US Fender.

LBC Petrol is US Gasoline or fuel.

LBC Bonnet is US Hood.

LBC Hood is US Convertable Top. You can begin to see where confusion can come from.

LBC Boot is US Trunk.

Many others in use. There are lists of LBC to US translation. I don't have one handy to share but I am sure one of the other members will provide a link to one.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Perry,

Ask questions and we will answer!

We often use the original words and phases that go with our Little British Cars. They are often found when reading original documentation. Knowing the terms will help in understanding and following instructions.

LBC Wing is US Fender.

LBC Petrol is US Gasoline or fuel.

LBC Bonnet is US Hood.

LBC Hood is US Convertable Top. You can begin to see where confusion can come from.

LBC Boot is US Trunk.

Many others in use. There are lists of LBC to US translation. I don't have one handy to share but I am sure one of the other members will provide a link to one.
Two countries separated by a common language!��
Rut

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
Thanks, SASSAMON. I've added to my international knowledge.

jimstr4

I probably only drove the TR4 6 times in the rain in 33 years so there's very little chance of water getting in between my front inner and outer panels.

Jim and the 1962 TR4