Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hydraulic lift opinions/info needed

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Re: Hydraulic lift opinions/info needed

Good points, all.

As a future owner of a four-post Bendpak, a few thoughts of mine: (None of my thoughts are correct, exclusive, etc... just my personal conclusions.)

1. Rotarys are awesome. Expensive. You can get pads to store a car on a two post lift, the pads are also awesomely expensive.
    2. Need good floor for 2-post. Lots of torque / moment at the point where the lift attaches to the ground.
    3. Four post lifts can be "mobile" - yeah right. But in theory you can get casters and wheel the thing around the garage. Or into your driveway. Not sure how practical this is, if moving a lift is more a controlled collision or a precise move. Point being, keep the height of your door in mind when selecting.
    4. Ceiling height. I won't be able to stand under my car, but will be able to park under it.
    5. Will you do a lot of work on cars - is a pneumatic hydraulic jack better for you? Jacking trays plus a cylinder jack require sufficient ground clearance. Problem with my Ferrari. (Joking...I wish.)
    6. Consider installation or pick up. Most lifts are delivered by truck and you need a forktruck to unload - drivers don't want to sit around for a slow unload. My plan is to have the lift delivered to a Truck Depot, rent an appropriately long U-Haul truck, have the lift loaded with a forktruck, then take my sweet time unloading with my engine hoist.
    7. Also with pickup - some lifts are packaged to be lifted from the ENDS of the box - a bit counter-intuitive. Lifting by the middle may damage / bend parts. Make sure the truck depot knows this; preferably before damaging your new goods.
    8. Garagejournal.com has postings ad nauseum, very informative on the subject of lifts.
    9. One more point (edit), there is a certification for lifts. ALI, http://www.autolift.org/ali-director...rtified-lifts/. Up to you if you want certification, but for my personal safety and property value, I will buy an ALI certified lift.

Again, my thoughts and opinions... yours may be different. (And that's OK! )
    Last edited by Popeye; 01-23-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added one more point
    Mike
    66 TR4A

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    6. Consider installation or pick up. Most lifts are delivered by truck and you need a forktruck to unload - drivers don't want to sit around for a slow unload. My plan is to have the lift delivered to a Truck Depot, rent an appropriately long U-Haul truck, have the lift loaded with a forktruck, then take my sweet time unloading with my engine hoist.
    For the price of pizzas and some Guinness I assembled a crew to unload my lift and put the 8 big pieces into position:

Instructions posted for all to see (and modify):

Everyone (even the FedEx guy) signed the bottom of the left runway... where I see the names & dates each time I pull into the garage:

No Guinness until the work was done:

One caution about 2 post lifts and IRS cars. I saved this pic from an eBay listing where an E-Type had been stored too long on the lift. The seller didn't even realize that the rubber mounts had finally failed and the entire rear end was hanging from the driveshaft:

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

That is a nice garage!! (Love the floor. And love the gigantic cactus outside the garage door - a rare sight for someone in the wet Pittsburgh area!)

Good idea with beer pizza bribe. I plan to do the same, plus offer service of the lift for quick car work (e.g. oil change, brakes ... not rebuild front suspension over the winter).
    Mike
    66 TR4A

Luke Skywalker
    Chats

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like I have a lot to think about and read yet. Not sure what lift I will go for yet, but I will probably install the floor as if I am getting a two post so I have the option of deciding later.

I have a Bend-Pak 4 post and use a (search for)" motorcycle scissor jack" on the jacking trays. Closed, the jack is less than 4" tall and it goes over 16". Very handy everywhere, even for jacking building projects. This is mine https://www.discountramps.com/motorc...ack/p/MC-JACK/ although knocks off can be had on ebay for less.

5. Will you do a lot of work on cars - is a pneumatic hydraulic jack better for you? Jacking trays plus a cylinder jack require sufficient ground clearance. Problem with my Ferrari. (Joking...I wish.)
    PeterK
    1958 TR3A 1966 TR4A both HVDA

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Nice solution!

Chats

There is another option out there for floor mounted units, a single post lift. I ran across this in a picture linked on another site and dug around until I found the source.

https://aclifts.com/products-2/parki...-5-and-m1-6-5/

It looks to be a decent option if space is at a premium (why I've been dithering around and not pulled the trigger, see posts #3 and #15). I'm still playing around with how to get the four poster in there and not have too bad of an obstacle course of lift columns to maneuver through and it's just not looking good. The big downside is price. There are two big factors driving that, first is that being a single post everything in the lift and column support is extra beefy, the second is that it is a US made unit, not imported. Time to start playing around with another set of layouts using the single post lift and then do a balance of a better fit vs costs.