• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aviation experts!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in 2013 the American Helicopter Society's Sikorsky prize of $250,000 for a successful "human powered helicopter" was finally awarded.

A team had successfully met the AHS requirements: a "helicopter" powered by a human, remaining airborne for minimum 60 seconds, attaining a minimum altitude of 3.3 meters above ground, and not drifting out of a 10 x 10 meter square.

I'm confoozled. In these two videos of the event, is the human actually providing the power to lift the machine?

Video 1 - note the comment just after 1:50, "Unspooling string makes the rotors turn". Also note the string coiled on a cone below each rotor. What's that string doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emK-qIbuJ-k

Video 2 - at about 1:20, the video shows the string cone, with narration "the string is wrapped around there, which goes directly to the bicycle in the center". Again, what's the purpose of the string?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGz3Ry298g

So, did the man on the bicycle provide all the power for the lift off and hover? Or was there potential energy stored in those cones of string, which was slowly released by the human?

Enquiring Minds Want to Know!

Thanks.
Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It looks to me that the string is the drive ie: the “belt”. The cone replaced a pulley.
Just my observation.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It looks like the string is being wound up by the pilot as he peddles so it has a limited flight duration. I think the cone structure is just the spokes supporting the rim holding the string.
Doing it that way they do not have to tension the drive belt and there is no chance of one prop turning faster than the others.

David

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents. I'm wondering if the bicycle is "storing" energy by winding up those string cones ... then the energy is released by unwinding the cones to move the giant rotors. If that's the case, then I guess it really is "human powered" - but not exactly in real time.

Does that make sense?

I just can't see that the guy pedaling is raising all that weight just while he's pedaling.

Tom M.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I agree the string is being wound up by the pilot as he peddles which gives the helicopter a very limited amount of time in the air, but is a simple way to power the blades. To help with the drift I would have thought they would have included a weighted wheel in the center below the pilot that was spun as the pilot peddled in order to provide a gyroscopic effect.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - thanks for posting the video. Never knew about that aircraft.

Not quite sure if it was flying on the human's power, or just lifted into the wind. Altho' the prop was turning, he got a lot of liftoff help by the guys pulling/pushing it to start. And we hear the wind in the microphone, so we know there was at least some wind-generated lift.

Did he actually control the aircraft so it would land where originally planned?

Congrats on your solo glider flight!
Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you Tom.
That was a lifetime ago. I did about 450 hours in gliders. Got to 26,000 feet one time.

I think it is still air. They tend to fly early in the morning because these craft are delicate and easily blown about. Notice how long you can hear the wheel running on the tarmac. On the controls I think they are a bit basic but it seems he must have some control as he is being advised where to head to.

David

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - what are your thoughts on that "bicycle powered helicopter" in the videos? Is it really flying under bicycle power only?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Attempted human flight has been around since man first watched the birds. I read an article once stating that a human can only put out about 3 hp, regardless of his or her condition, tested under controlled conditions and that is for something around 3 minutes + or -. I think what were seeing is legit because the flight was made in a short period of time in an extremely light craft. The prop in the center is a unique idea for getting an immediate airflow over the rear control surfaces at almost zero airspeed. ??? With the fog at that airport, he should have radar! Yup, too heavy. :highly_amused: PJ

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My first Silver C cross country attempt. I came down in a field about 10 miles short of my intended destination. The first of many field landings. Always a bit tense.

This was in a K6 CR in about 1974.

David

Field landing.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Attempted human flight has been around since man first watched the birds.

Or since man fell out of a tree or walked off a cliff.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Last time I saw one of those, it was in a museum :highly_amused: Only kidding David, but the black and white photo really does it justice, I like it. :encouragement: PJ

My first Silver C cross country attempt. I came down in a field about 10 miles short of my intended destination. The first of many field landings. Always a bit tense.

David

View attachment 52138

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Last time I saw one of those, it was in a museum :highly_amused: Only kidding David, but the black and white photo really does it justice, I like it. :encouragement: PJ

David

View attachment 52138

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thank you Paul

It was an Kodak Instomatic that we had for turning point photos. Not that I would have been turning on that flight. Cheap to develop.

My first personal glider (shared with 4 others) was an Olympia 2 which is now truly a museum piece. It is still flying!

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only time I use the spoilers is after crossing the threshold. Proper planning is the key, you only get one chance! The couple of 360s gives me the idea it was at a show or a demo flight. The modern gliders have a glide ratio in excess of 60-1, meaning, starting at an altitude of 1 mile they can glide for 60 miles in zero wind conditions, quite impressive. If you catch a thermal you could be up for hours moving from one to another. So quiet and peaceful, your in another world! It's a great experience! :encouragement: PJ

Forgot to ad, the tow rope should always be tight all the time until release, if it gets too slack it can jerk the glider and tow plane, if hard enough it can break the rope, not something you want to happen at low altitude. If controlled properly the spoilers are not needed to hold the glider back, maintaining proper positioning behind the tow plane is the solution and never, never get above the tow plane while under tow!

Not sure why he is opening the air brakes right after coming off tow. Must be because it is at an air show and he has to do the Display.

David

https://vimeo.com/57780175

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanx fellas. Brought back memories of soaring in my uncle's Blanik L13 over Elsinore. What a blast. Smooth and quiet. Great spot for strong thermals, could be up for hours. Then we would head home in the Skymaster, not quite so smooth,.... but he could land that baby in a teacup. You nailed it PJ! A GREAT experience!

Last edited: