• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Wiper Arm Question

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK...So I've looked at tons of pictures and seen them both ways. Are both the wiper arms on a TR4 straight or does the passenger have a bend? Did the bended arm come in after a certain commission number? Do the TR3's have two straight arms and it went into the TR4 run and then they switched it? Like I said, I've seen TR4's with two straight arms and some with a bent passenger and straight driver so I'm stumped. I bought an aftermarket bent one but the finish doesn't match my refinished straight arms so was thinking just running straight arms for both. I did a search and didn't get a real answer. Thoughts?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The information I have is that none of them were entirely straight. TR3A had a 15 degree bend at the end; TR4 had a 10 degree bend on one arm and a 40 degree bend on the other. There is a change in the Lucas part number for the 40 degree arm, but the description and Triumph part number remained the same.

CvaY291.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Does the tr4 have the pop up fresh air inlet duct in the center of the scuttle (like my TR250)? Weren't the bends in the arm to clear this?

Cheers
Tush

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...There is a change in the Lucas part number for the 40 degree arm, but the description and Triumph part number remained the same.

CvaY291.jpg

That, of course, illustrates the arms for a RHD car (oddly, I have a set of those on the shelf). There will be different parts for LHD.

Can't imagine not have the benefit of that scuttle vent and can't imagine how it could be used unless the wiper arm above it was cranked.

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This plus...If the passenger side arm wasn't bent, the blade wouldn't be able to park at the base of the windshield.

See...that's the biggest thing and it makes sense as I do have the pop up vent. However, it's almost like Triumph realized this after the fact and still put some "minor" bend ones on for the driver and passenger on LHD drive cars. Anyone out there with low commission 62/63 TR4's that may be able to say "yes, I have the 40deg bend one.

I know Marv was going to check to see if he had one for me that of course would have to be chromed to match. Oh well. Now looking for OEM bent wiper arm! Anyone?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary,
In my cache of parts I found two of the 40 degree bend wipers. One has an arm that measures .20" and the other measures .375 " wide. My two TR4's that are between 17000 and 20000 have the smaller width blades and both have the 40 degree bend.
Let me know if you are interested in either of these. They are both bright finished. Also the "other " wipers on my cars do have the 10 degree bend right at the tip.

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gary,
In my cache of parts I found two of the 40 degree bend wipers. One has an arm that measures .20" and the other measures .375 " wide. My two TR4's that are between 17000 and 20000 have the smaller width blades and both have the 40 degree bend.
Let me know if you are interested in either of these. They are both bright finished. Also the "other " wipers on my cars do have the 10 degree bend right at the tip.

Thanks Charley. I may have to take you up on that offer. I will have to measure when I get back to my garage and see what the width is. Both my arms are straight and what is odd is one is longer than the other. I just used the shorter one, but I'll measure those as well and let people here know and maybe they can tell me which length is right. Thanks again all!

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gary,

Charlie, well I measured and mine are .20". But of my two straight arms, one is 11" in length and one is 12" in length. Anyone know which one is the correct length a s I recently have the 11" one on. Also, Charley would you happen to have an extra screw that goes in the end of the wiper arm and connects the wiper? I stripped my other one trying to make the TRF wiper arm work as I had to drill and tap but the metal was too hard and I accidentally stripped it.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary,
I will look for the screw and get a length measurement and get back to you.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That, of course, illustrates the arms for a RHD car (oddly, I have a set of those on the shelf). There will be different parts for LHD.
Yes, the bends are opposite directions for LHD.
TbKk0KZ.jpg

Length is given as 11-1/2" for both
xOJa6Sp.jpg

But the way they measure is a bit odd
85VZDzr.jpg

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes, the bends are opposite directions for LHD.
TbKk0KZ.jpg

Length is given as 11-1/2" for both
xOJa6Sp.jpg

But the way they measure is a bit odd
85VZDzr.jpg

Great info! Thanks. And sadly...neither one of my arms have the 10deg bend so I think those aren't even the right ones. I'm betting that the longer one is what I should use since the way it shows they measure the arm I'd be at 10.5" with the one installed right now. However, no 10deg bend in them sooooooo Charley...have a 10deg one as well? HAHA Guess the finishes will match now!